Using dedicated nic for jails, traffic still flows through the main nic.

mikegleasonjr

Dabbler
System: TrueNAS Beta 2. One onboard intel nic and a dual intel nic pcie card.

I have 3 interfaces (no bridges configured):
  1. em0 - main for TrueNAS (connected to switch 1 port 1, same subnet). Shows as "up" and configured and everything works.
  2. em1 - used for jails (connected to switch 1 port 2, same subnet). Shows as "up" but no IP configured in TrueNAS.
  3. em2 - unused and unplugged
When I create a Jail, I use DHCP, VNET and BPF. Then choose em1 in vnet_default_interface. Network works fine and I receive a DHCP lease from the switch. But the switch tells me there is also traffic on em0 when there is on em1. What's odd, is that it's always the double the amount of em0 on em1.

For example let's say I download at 25mbps from the jail, I will see 25mbps on em0 (port 1) and 50mbps on em1 (port 2) on the switch.

hervon

Patron
Double posting is bad.

mikegleasonjr

Dabbler
Sorry for the double posting, will pay attention next time. That being said while investigating something odd is happening in my network so I don't know if it's the nas box the problem... I will try to delete this one and post back if I can prove it's TrueNAS

mikegleasonjr

Dabbler
At the end it WAS the freenas box, but rebooting it soved it. I think at some point a network loop was created and I changed the config the rebooting it "unconfused" the router.