TrueNAS shows no Traffic in Unifi Controller.. but working fine.

Richard Durso

Explorer
I have a TrueNAS-12.0-U2 up and running fine. em0 is up and TrueNAS dashboard shows traffic.
  • Network > Interfaces > MAC Address matches the mac address listed in the Unifi Controller.
  • I'm not using LAGG, not even VLANS yet. All of these are listed as "N/A".
em0 is plugged directly into Port 11 on a USW-Lite-16-PoE switch. When I look at Port 11, it shows Rx and Tx status in the hundreds of GB of traffic.

When I view the TrueNAS server in list of clients, it shows zero traffic. All other devices are reporting traffic just fine, only the TrueNAS is not (I have 1 jail for Syncthing, its also showing zero traffic).
  • The mac addresses listed in Unfi for TrueNAS and Jails are values expected.
  • IP addresses listed are values expected.
  • Experience is sold green 100% for both, connection LAN.
  • Activity, Activity Down and Activity Up always show zero bytes
Not sure if related, but there is also an igb0 interface not used. It's link state is up, but has no DHCP, no IPv4 and no IPV6. I originally had thoughts of using LAGG until I learned that you shouldn't mix drivers and its very annoying that the motherboard has two nics of different types. The igb0 interface mac address is not listed as a client in Unifi (but is connected on Port 12).

Code:
dmesg | grep em0
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection> port 0xf020-0xf03f mem 0xf7500000-0xf751ffff,0xf7535000-0xf7535fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
em0: Using 1024 TX descriptors and 1024 RX descriptors
em0: Using an MSI interrupt
em0: Ethernet address: 00:25:90:dd:15:dd

dmesg | grep igb0
igb0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI-Express Network Driver> port 0xc000-0xc01f mem 0xf7300000-0xf737ffff,0xf7380000-0xf7383fff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci5
igb0: Using 1024 TX descriptors and 1024 RX descriptors
igb0: Using 2 RX queues 2 TX queues
igb0: Using MSI-X interrupts with 3 vectors
igb0: Ethernet address: 00:25:90:dd:15:dc
igb0: link state changed to UP

I'm asking here because TrueNAS and it's jail is the only device showing this behavior.

testfire10

Dabbler
This is probably a stretch since this post is so old, but I'm wondering if you ever figured out anything more about this issue? I have the same problem (now on U5). The Unifi control panel (which is not on a jail or anything, it's running on my UDM Pro) is not reporting network traffic to/from my TrueNAS. It does show the traffic exiting the device conducting a transfer for example, and the traffic through the switch, but not at the TrueNAS itself. FWIW, I am using VLANs and the network is working just fine with no issues transferring files to the NAS.

mew

Cadet
This is probably a stretch since this post is so old, but I'm wondering if you ever figured out anything more about this issue? I have the same problem (now on U5). The Unifi control panel (which is not on a jail or anything, it's running on my UDM Pro) is not reporting network traffic to/from my TrueNAS. It does show the traffic exiting the device conducting a transfer for example, and the traffic through the switch, but not at the TrueNAS itself. FWIW, I am using VLANs and the network is working just fine with no issues transferring files to the NAS.
Sorry to bump an old thread but did you ever find anything out about this?

Thanks!

testfire10

Dabbler
No problem, and no, I have not. I had a month-long string of emails with Ubiquiti support, looking at logs, trying different versions of software, re-routing cables, etc. but ultimately, they left me with 'well, seems like a software issue, we recommend waiting...'. To this day, still shows no traffic to my TrueNAS machine.

Do you have the same problem?

Richard Durso

Explorer
I gave up trying... it's just gotten worse and worse with Unifi console. I have several devices wired to unifi switches working fine that are not even listed on the Client Device page. TrueNAS server is not on the list at the moment. 24 hr usage column... blank for every device. I have a docker server that hasn't been rebooted in several weeks. Just clicked on it... Unifi console says its only been online for for 22 minutes. Stats are just so messed up I don't even look.

When I look at switches the ports, connected device, and amount transferred all that seems fine.