Used vs Available Space

Grobiii

Cadet
Sorry, but im beginner with FreeNAS and i couldnt find a good explanation about used vs available space.

My problem is, im having Pool/Dataset with 62TB Used and 21TB Availabe space + with several zvols in it. The biggest one has 60TB Used and 50TB Available, all other are quite small and together they reaching the 62TB Used space but all having 21TB as Available.

So something is wrong with the numbers of the big zvol....or whats going on here? btw. its zvol size has been configured with 40TB (not forced).

Thanks!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The biggest one has 60TB Used and 50TB Available
It's very hard to figure out what exactly you have from your statements, but it's absolutely possible for a zvol (and its snapshots) to occupy much more space than the allocated number.

If you share zpool list -v and zfs list together with zfs list -t snap with us, maybe we can help to better shine light on the problem.

Branger

Cadet
It's very hard to figure out what exactly you have from your statements, but it's absolutely possible for a zvol (and its snapshots) to occupy much more space than the allocated number.

If you share zpool list -v and zfs list together with zfs list -t snap with us, maybe we can help to better shine light on the problem.

Thanks Sretalla,
Running those commands I figured it out and would like to share with the community in this post to hopefully save someone some time in the future.

Running zfs list shows you the available vs used space on your pool or data set. You can add your pool name to the end of it if you want to only show your pool.
Then, zpool list -v shows your your pool size, allocated space, and your free space. If your free space is different than you available space then you might have snap shots tying up your data.
You can see your snapshots by using zfs list -t snap. If you see that your snap shot is referencing your allocated space, then you can delete your snapshots to release that data.

Do I have that right Sretalla?

sretalla