Pool Available Space Threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opentrends

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

My Freenas version is FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 and I've configured the Storage this way :

nas_question1.PNG

Server with hardware Raid (Raid50)

I've presented zvol called txcNAS to ESXI 6 as a device extent, and I've configured "pool availbale Space Threshold" this way:
nas_question2.PNG

The question is, if my zpool has less than 90% space available, why pool available space threshold is not alerting me about the space remaining?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Opentrends

Dabbler
Hi Jgreco,

I'm Sorry but I couldn't understand the meaning of the sentence "oh dear oh dear oh dear". It is something bad that I did ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

gpsguy

Please start by doing a few forum searches. For example "hardware raid", "iscsi 50%", "keyword: iscsi, member: jgreco"

Please list detailed hardware information.

Opentrends

Dabbler
Hi guys,
Meanwhile I'm reading Mirfster's recommended reading, I'm going to describe my scenario:
- 2 Identical freenas server (Master + Replica)
Chassis: Intel R2000GZ
Board: S2600GZ
Processor: Intel i5-2609 V2
Raid Controller: RMS25CB080
Raid Configured: Raid50
Battery Raid Controller: AXXRMFBU2
Sas expander: RES2SV240
Disk: 12 x 2TB SAS MG04SCA200E
ECC RAM = 2 x 4GB Kington KVR16R11S8/4

According to your posts as I'm going to present my zvol to a couple of ESX servers via SCSI. Do you think that it will be a smart decision to resize the zvol to 50% of the pool capacity?
According to my hardware, do you still thinking that I have to renounce to a hardware Raid?

Thanks again in advance..

toadman

Guru
He's telling you among other things (1) don't run iscsi on a pool unless the pool is less than 50% utilized in it's entirety (not just the iscsi part) (if you care about performance) and (2) don't run hardware raid. As gpsguy mentioned, please read about these two topics before proceeding.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Short answers:

Raid Controller: RMS25CB080
Raid Configured: Raid50
Battery Raid Controller: AXXRMFBU2
Get rid of these and get HBA(s)

ECC RAM = 2 x 4GB Kington KVR16R11S8/4
You are going to choke your system to death trying to run iSCSI with only 8 GB of RAM. Looks like that board maxes out at 76 GB of RAM (odd number...); if you want to run iSCI then you may want to go ahead and give some thought to filling it up...

Add this to your reading list: Why iSCSI often requires more resources for the same result (as you are reading keep in mind that your system currently is running the minimum amount of recommend RAM for FreeNas alone...)

gpsguy

You will also need a lot more than 8GB RAM. I could see this coming, but wanted to give you the benefit of my doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opentrends

Dabbler
Hopefully you meant to say E5, not i5.
Yes Robert, my fault, processor is e5-2609v2

Definetly, I'm thinking of getting rid of hardware raid and resize zvol to 50% of the space.
But returning to my first question, why I'm not alerted by "Pool Available Space Threshold"?. Do you think is something about hardware raid, and then it is normal that this feature is not working?

Thank you all for your support.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Definetly, I'm thinking of getting rid of hardware raid
Do you think is something about hardware raid
I am not sure you understand, you NEED to get rid of Hardware Raid PERIOD... You have put FreeNas/ZFS in severely precarious position by not allowing it direct access to the drives. Forget about the "Pool Available Space Threshold" alert, that is nothing compared to loss of your data...

What is the output of: zpool status (please post in CODE Tags)?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
why I'm not alerted by "Pool Available Space Threshold"?
At the top level, which shows raw storage, your pool is reported as only 25% utilized. At the next level, the primary dataset is shown using 84% of the available storage. It looks wrong, and merits further investigation. I'm guessing the code for the warning is paying attention to the 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.