USB recovery

norskman

Contributor
I accidently broke my USB stick.

So I had to use a spare drive until I get a new USB stick from Amazon.

Ok, everything is working.

Is there a quick way to copy the drive contents - only used for the boot of course to the new USB stick so it will be bootable?

as I say system is running fine at the moment.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Save your config, reinstall, import config. You can do the fresh install to the USB drive on a different machine or even with a VM, so you do note need to offline your NAS.

norskman

Contributor
how do you offline the whole nas in one go. I know how to offline drives - but that will not let me offline the while nas only one or two spare drives. then you get an error as the ssytem cannot manage with out the requirsite number of drives - i have 5x6TB with 4x6tb in a raid 5 config.

artlessknave

Wizard
how do you offline the whole nas in one go. I know how to offline drives - but that will not let me offline the while nas only one or two spare drives. then you get an error as the ssytem cannot manage with out the requirsite number of drives - i have 5x6TB with 4x6tb in a raid 5 config.
what? isnt the boot drive bad? why are you trying to muck with your storage pool? that error is there for a reason because what you seem to be trying to do can wreck your pool....

norskman

Contributor
The previous message in the thread by patrick says 'so you do note need to offline your NAS.'

i did manage to use a brand new install but recovered the data to it. I now want ot resawp to a better USB drive than the one I have. the Prcedure is not too clear anywhere.

Step 1: shutdown the NAS
step 2: Boot off a drive with FREENAS image loaded onto it. Making sure the new USB drive is installed

then what?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The previous message in the thread by patrick says 'so you do note need to offline your NAS.'
Yes. Like in power off, reboot, take out off service. So you need a maintenance window.
In contrast to an online replacement when the server continues to serve ...

norskman

Contributor
At what point do I reload my previously saved config from FREENAS - so that everything gets reconfigured back and my NAS structure is restored?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
After you booted your newly installed boot media and can reach the UI with a web browser.

artlessknave

Wizard
after the first boot of the band new install.
you will have a stock settings freenas.
go into the system settings, and upload your saved config. it will reboot, and (assuming there are no problems) when it starts up it will be using the saved config. all pools should be imported and it it should work exactly the same as it was when you saved that config.