USB Boot failure [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdorian

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I've got a problem with installing/booting FreeNAS from an USB, I've put the img on the usb using win2diskimage, all went fine until I tried to boot my NAS from the usb. I think I've set the bios settings properly to boot from the usb. But when I run I get the error message: "Reboot and Select prober Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I've googeling this error message for over an hour now with no result. However when I try to boot my main pc (the one I'm using right now) from this usb all works fine it boots from the usb.
So I hope you guys can help me out because it is propably an noob question and an easy fix....

My system specs:

mobo: ASRock E350M1
hdd: Seagate barracuda 2TB
ram: corsair valueselect 2x4GB ddr3 1333mhz

If you guys need to know more just ask and I'll try to awnser it
THANKS A LOT!

p.s. I'm Dutch and dyslectic so sorry for my verry bad English ;(

Raginglynx

Cadet
Hi, I have the exact same behavior but with an Asus motherboard. couldn't get to BIOS and resetted CMOS in order to come to BIOS and check that removable device were 1st priority at boot, and it was.

Hope you don't think I'm intruding on your thread KingDorian, as we have similar problem :)

Raginglynx

Cadet
I found this in the user guide:

NOTE: if the image does not boot, check the BIOS and change the USB emulation from
CD/DVD/floppy to hard drive
. If it still will not boot, check to see if the card/drive is UDMA
compliant

What does that mean? change the USB emulation from
CD/DVD/floppy to hard drive

Raginglynx

Cadet
I've solved my problem.
In my Asus BIOS I the image USB-stick came up as a Harddrive instead of a removable device.
In the menu I could change boot priority between harddrives, and my USB-stick acted as a harddrive, only it was 4th priority.
All the empty harddrives were before it in the boot sequence.
Now it works fine for me. Hope that can help you too.

kingdorian

Cadet
I dont know what the problem was but I factory resetted the bios settings and setted up the bpot order again. Now everything works fine.
and btw ofcourse I dont mind you "intruding" on my problem, better this then spamming the forim with all the same errord:D

Status
Not open for further replies.