Usable IPMI?

MisterE2002

Patron
Had some older server boards of asrock. The IPMI was horrible Java crap. Needed to download a file, later had to made java security exceptions. It just did not work when needed the most.
Thinking about buying Supermicro boards (maybe 2nd hand). Afaik the X9 line is also using Java.
Read somewhere that mounting remotely does not work with html?
Is the usable nowadays? Is this based on a Asrock or Supermicro "line" (aka: X10, X11)

Requirements:
  • Browser access (Linux/Windows)
  • Remote mount
  • basis stuff (on/off. Read console output)
  • dedicated port (no multiplex on server interface)
  • It just works

Etorix

Wizard
ASPEED 2400 is Java-based.
ASPEED 2500, and newer 2600, is HTML-based and much better.
This is not a matter of AsRockRack vs. Supermicro but of board generation, though Supermicro may be quicker to adopt newer BMC chips.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Supermicro X9 is indeed Java-based, at least the X9SRi-F that I have.

MisterE2002

Patron
Thanks for the fast feedback!

Used the “FreeNAS Quick Hardware Guide R2a.pdf” list. I can tally away all "LGA1151 for Skylake and Kaby Lake (SKL/KBL)" items. All have AST2400 and the recommended Coffee Lake (CFL) have the AST2500.

Al tough i refuse to use a java version again. But like to know if AST2400 is working for (SKL/KBL) users? Or do you have to jump to the same hoops and hacks to make it work? In that case a disclaimer in the guides would be a nice addition. IPMI is a integral part of a server board.

Did not found AST26xx versions yet.

Hmmm...seems something like openBMC exists.

Last edited:

poldi

Dabbler
Yes I can confirm on my ASRock Rack X470D4U with AST2500 both Java and HTML5 KVM is on offer. From what I read the AST2600 is supposed to be faster but still offers the same access. It is slowly showing up in more recent boards.

AmericanMegatrends is apparently selling a frontend implementation with the chip. I've seen screenshots from the Supermicro BMC WebUI and the same from Gigabyte. They look identical to my ASRock UI except for some light re-skinning with different colors and logo.

Remote ISO mounting does actually work however the connection speed is woeful. So getting a memtest ISO booted is no issue. However when you want to install SCALE you might have to sit there for literally 10 min until you see the first sign of life from the kernel. Needless to say I try to avoid using it.
I've read the same complains in an STH review of a Supermicro motherboard. So the implementation seems to be alike and even the bugs are the same.

MisterE2002

Patron
Remote ISO mounting does actually work however the connection speed is woeful. So getting a memtest ISO booted is no issue. However when you want to install SCALE you might have to sit there for literally 10 min until you see the first sign of life from the kernel. Needless to say I try to avoid using it.
I've read the same complains in an STH review of a Supermicro motherboard. So the implementation seems to be alike and even the bugs are the same.
I think i will not use remote iso mounting a lot so i can accept this issue.
Thanks for the info.