<urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Noob here again

I am having trouble getting static IP and being able to 'Check Updates'. It seems I can set one or the other, but not both.

Its clear that I am making a noob mistake, but having searched through the forum and docs I am obviously missing the relevant bit.

Any and all help will be gratefully received.

FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351)

TiA

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
When using a static IP address, have you specified an IPv4 Default Gateway and at least one Nameserver under the GUI interface's Network->Global Configuration? Were you careful to select an IP address not already in use on your LAN? In particular, you need to insure that the IP address is not in the pool used by your router/gateway's DHCP service to dynamically assign addresses.

In many (but by no means all!) cases, routers/gateways are set up on address 192.168.1.1 and this is the address you would use for both the gateway and nameserver.

Good luck!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yes I agree. Almost certain the problem is under Network->Global Config, you will need to specify a "gateway" and a "nameserver". As the other gentleman says, the gateway should be the IP address of your router, and the nameserver should probably be either the same IP, or if that doesn't work, go ahead and punch in Google's nameserver: 8.8.8.8.

Mr Onion

Dabbler
Thanks, that was it My router is on 192.168.0.1 so I put that in gateway and nameserver and I can connect to update.

No doubt I will get it all in the end, but in the meantime prepare for more noob questions

Status
Not open for further replies.