URBACKUP client not starting. supposedly for a outdated jail version.

Thedriveguy

Explorer
Hello,

I have been having this issue to where suddenly my URBACKUP server doesn't want to backup anything or even show the admin console. The current Truenas version that i'm running is TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1 and the jail version is 13.1-RELEASE-p7. URBACKUP is supposedly up to date to version 2.5.26_1. If anybody knows of how to fix this it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alecmascot

Guru
Is urbackupsrv running ?
If it is then kill it.
In the jail do : urbackupsrv run -u root
What do you get ?

Thedriveguy

Explorer
I have tried updating the jail along with urbackup itself with no luck. Anybody have any solutions?

unseen

Contributor
You seem to have misread the post by Alecmascot.

He didn't ask you to stop the jail, he asked you to open a console in the jail (iocage console jailname), kill any currently running urbackupsrv (killall urbackupsrv) and then start the server manually (urbackupsrv run -u root) so that you can see what messages it shows when you start it.

If you do what he asked, you will be able to see why the server is not starting up.

I also don't understand why you have posted in the legacy freenas part of the forum when you you are running the latest release of TrueNAS.

Thedriveguy

Explorer
You seem to have misread the post by Alecmascot.

He didn't ask you to stop the jail, he asked you to open a console in the jail (iocage console jailname), kill any currently running urbackupsrv (killall urbackupsrv) and then start the server manually (urbackupsrv run -u root) so that you can see what messages it shows when you start it.

If you do what he asked, you will be able to see why the server is not starting up.

I also don't understand why you have posted in the legacy freenas part of the forum when you you are running the latest release of TrueNAS.

That makes way more sense! I checked if it was running, which it wasn't. When I ran it said the http server ran but there was a fragmentation issue. Thanks for pointing out that I posted it in the wrong part of the forum. I did not notice that until just now. I found this thread but I don't know if it would help with my Truenas version.

Thanks for the help.

Here is the output from the commands:
UrBackupError.PNG

unseen

Contributor
The "Segmentation fault" that I can only partly see after the line about starting the http server doesn't look good. What comes after that?

unseen

Contributor
If this is the community plugin version of urbackup that you are running, I'd suggest throwing it out and setting it up in a jail yourself.

I installed the 2.4.15 version this way myself and it runs just fine for me, regularly making backups of my work laptop, personal laptop and my Windows games machine. The laptops run debian and use btrfs so that urbackup can make snapshots when it is backing up.
I can't comment on version 2.5 as I've not seen any need to upgrade a working installation that does everything I need it to. I do remember trying to install the community plugin of the 2.4 release and finding that didn't work either.

I think you would need to build urbackup from source in your jail as I see the following comment on the "Instructions to install UrBackup Server on FreeNAS" page at urbackup.org: The FreeBSD port is currently broken. Please do not upgrade. You need to install from source if using FreeBSD.

Thedriveguy

Explorer
If this is the community plugin version of urbackup that you are running, I'd suggest throwing it out and setting it up in a jail yourself.

I installed the 2.4.15 version this way myself and it runs just fine for me, regularly making backups of my work laptop, personal laptop and my Windows games machine. The laptops run debian and use btrfs so that urbackup can make snapshots when it is backing up.
I can't comment on version 2.5 as I've not seen any need to upgrade a working installation that does everything I need it to. I do remember trying to install the community plugin of the 2.4 release and finding that didn't work either.

I think you would need to build urbackup from source in your jail as I see the following comment on the "Instructions to install UrBackup Server on FreeNAS" page at urbackup.org: The FreeBSD port is currently broken. Please do not upgrade. You need to install from source if using FreeBSD.

I made a new jail and installed UrBackup through the UrBackup website instructions, but still no luck.
I tried killing the urbackupsrv task and starting it again, but it is giving me the error "Segmentation Fault" as before.

unseen

Contributor
So you built urbackup from source in the new jail?
Then you installed it with make install, as root?
You created a user and group for it to run under (I use urbackup:urbackup)?
Finally, you created a dataset to hold your backups, mounted that dataset in the jail and made it owned by the correct user:group before starting the urbackup server process?

If the answer to all four of those questions are "yes" then I have to confess that I'm out of ideas right now.

If you used the commands on the urbackup.org page where it shows:
pkg update
pkg install urbackup-server
sysrc urbackup_server_enable=YES
then it won't work - as the page says, the current FreeBSD port is broken.

Alecmascot

Guru
I have this procedure in my notes :
Code:
Create the urbackup jail:
    iocage create -n urbackup ip4_addr="vnet0|10.10.0.39/24" defaultrouter="10.10.0.1" vnet="on" boot="on" -r 13.1-RELEASE -b

Go to the jail console:
    iocage console (name of jail)

Install needed packages: (respond "y" if prompted)
    pkg install -y nano curl wget

download Urbackup Source into the jail:
    wget https://hndl.urbackup.org/Server/2.5.27/urbackup-server-2.5.27.tar.gz

Extract the archive:
    tar xf urbackup-server-2.5.27.tar.gz

Navigate into the newly created folder:
    cd *.27

Then :
    ./configure --enable-embedded-cryptopp 

Then :
    make -j4

Then:
    make install

To test do:
    urbackupsrv run -u root

Browse to:
    "jail IP":55414

Back in the jail stop urbackupsrv:
    ctrl-c

To make urbackup run at jail boot :
    nano /etc/rc.local

and add to the new file :

#!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/bin/urbackupsrv run -d -g 104857600 -u root

To end and save :
    crtl-x
    y
    enter

To make it executable :
    chmod +x /etc/rc.local

"exit" to leave the jail
"iocage restart (jail name)"  to restart the jail then check you can browse to port 55414 as before

Modify as required.

unseen

Contributor
I remember dimly that
--enable-embedded-cryptopp
was the crucial build option that cured the Segmentation Violation on startup.

cryptopp

cryptopp

cryptopp

Dun, dun, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! :eek:

A change in cryptopp's configuration (FreshPorts) broke other ports as well, such as amule, and apparently urbackup-server as well. FreshPorts upstream disabled SIMD in the configuration. (Hence, when you install it from the binary package repository, you get a version that segfaults other applications.)

One way around this is to use the Ports Collection, so you can then configure, make, and install the cryptopp package with the option SIMD enabled.

Then you can "lock" the package cryptopp to prevent updates from the binary package repository. (If you don't "lock" it, then your version will be replaced by the repository version, which is compiled without SIMD enabled.) It's a bit awkward, but it works. Honestly, I wish the maintainer of the port would just revert back to enabling SIMD. :confused: (Causes more problems than solutions.)

In the case of urbackup-server, you're lucky, since before compiling it, you can configure it to use its own embedded cryptopp library, which takes the repository version out of the picture. :cool:

The longterm "solution" is this, which will fix the package...
Meyser said:
adding "--enable-embedded-cryptopp" to CONFIGURE_ARGS fixes the issue by using buildin cryptopp version. So "libcryptopp.so:security/cryptopp" can be removed as a dependency.

The "problem" is this...
Neel Chauhan said:
I am no longer maintaining this port

Unfortunately, the Linux ecosystem has more activity, eyeballs, and hands available. FreeBSD's community is much smaller in comparison, so "unmaintained" ports are not uncommon. :frown:

Last edited:

Thedriveguy

Explorer
cryptopp

cryptopp

cryptopp

Dun, dun, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! :eek:

A change in cryptopp's configuration (FreshPorts) broke other ports as well, such as amule, and apparently urbackup-server as well. FreshPorts upstream disabled SIMD in the configuration. (Hence, when you install it from the binary package repository, you get a version that segfaults other applications.)

One way around this is to use the Ports Collection, so you can then configure, make, and install the cryptopp package with the option SIMD enabled.

Then you can "lock" the package cryptopp to prevent updates from the binary package repository. (If you don't "lock" it, then your version will be replaced by the repository version, which is compiled without SIMD enabled.) It's a bit awkward, but it works. Honestly, I wish the maintainer of the port would just revert back to enabling SIMD. :confused: (Causes more problems than solutions.)

In the case of urbackup-server, you're lucky, since before compiling it, you can configure it to use its own embedded cryptopp library, which takes the repository version out of the picture. :cool:

The longterm "solution" is this, which will fix the package...

The "problem" is this...

Unfortunately, the Linux ecosystem has more activity, eyeballs, and hands available. FreeBSD's community is much smaller in comparison, so "unmaintained" ports are not uncommon. :frown:

For the long term solution, it says put "--enable-embedded-cryptopp" in "CONFIGURE_ARGS". Where would this file be located in the jail?

For the long term solution, it says put "--enable-embedded-cryptopp" in "CONFIGURE_ARGS". Where would this file be located in the jail?

This requires compiling from source. It's not "located in the jail" per se.

Two different options:
  1. Compile and install from source using the upstream source code; but configure it to use embedded cryptopp before building
  2. Compile, package, and install from source using the Ports Collection; but configure it to use embedded cryptopp before building

Option #1 is laid out in a previous post. It will use the latest upstream version of UrBackup.

Option #2 is not as practical, since it requires pulling in the Ports Collection just to build and install one package (urbackup-server) with the correct configuration, which is going to be an outdated version anyways. (Unfortunately, the version available as a FreeBSD port is not up-to-date.)

There is also the option of configuring, building, and installing cryptopp to use SIMD, and then "locking" the package from future updates. But this will still leave you with an outdated version of urbackup-server from the repository.

It's also possible to use Option #1 to build a binary package of the latest UrBackup for FreeBSD, which will let you install/uninstall using the pkg tool.

Option #99 is if a volunteer will adopt the urbackup-server and urbackup-client ports, to maintain them with the proper build config as well as staying up-to-date with upstream UrBackup releases. :wink:

unseen

Contributor

Read Alexmascot's recipe in post #12.

--enable-embedded-cryptopp is a flag that you need to pass to the 'configure' program when starting to build urbackup-server from source.

Read Alexmascot's recipe in post #12.

I would skip this step, though:
Create the urbackup jail: iocage create -n urbackup ip4_addr="vnet0|10.10.0.39/24" defaultrouter="10.10.0.1" vnet="on" boot="on" -r 13.1-RELEASE -b

The jail already exists.

I would also uninstall the binary package first, before building and installing from upstream:
pkg remove urbackup-server

unseen

Contributor
I would skip this step, though:

The jail already exists.

I would also uninstall the binary package first, before building and installing from upstream:
pkg remove urbackup-server

Just blow the jail away and create a fresh one. You don't want anything that might be left over to mess things up when you build and install from source.