UPS setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_N

Patron
I have a network interface card in my ups now (an eaton/powerware 9120) which is setup for the local network, and i can connect to the UPS via software on my pc through snmp on the network, but when trying to do the same from my freenas server i keep getting a connection refused message?

just want it to act as a slave, and shutdown when the ups has been on battery for 60 sec

do i need to put anything specific in as the 'identifier' in freenas ups settings?

the ip and port are right

what do i put as the monitor user/pass?

Yatti420

Wizard

Mr_N

Patron
yeah read that page but its a bit light on details when selecting UPS Mode as 'Slave'

I'm assuming its for connecting with a UPS to get simple info allowing the freenas to shutdown in the event of a on battery event right?

Well i cant seem to get mine to connect to UPS and given its saying connection refused im not sure if its the freenas settings im not getting right or the network setup of the UPS.

Yatti420

Wizard
I though Master/Slave relationships were for when you had 2 UPS devices in hand.. Have you checked the NUT pages and/or searched the forums -? http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html I selected the driver. Verified what USB port I had it in.. Selected it and everything was working.. I left the identifier alone.. Monitor I believe is for remote apps..

Edit: I found similiar UPS in the compatibility list..

Powerware 9130 bcmxcp or usbhid-ups
Powerware 9140 bcmxcp or usbhid-ups
Powerware 5130 usbhid-ups
PW9120
Serial port bcmxcp
PW9120
USB port bcmxcp_usb
9120 upscode2

"upsc ups"

Code:
[root@NAS] ~# upsc ups
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS
battery.runtime: 2760
battery.runtime.low: 300
battery.type: PbAcid
battery.voltage: 16.0
battery.voltage.nominal: 24
device.mfr: CP850PFCLCD
device.model: CRDA103*AF1
device.serial: CPS
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ugen1.3
driver.version: 2.7.1
driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.3
driver.version.internal: 0.38
input.transfer.high: 139
input.transfer.low: 88
input.voltage: 121.0
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 137.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 14
ups.mfr: CP850PFCLCD
ups.model: CRDA103*AF1
ups.productid: 0501
ups.realpower.nominal: 510
ups.serial: CPS
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: No test initiated
ups.timer.shutdown: -60
ups.timer.start: -60
ups.vendorid: 0764

Edit: #2 .. I didn't realize you were trying to use network port.. Not sure about that..

Mr_N

Patron
yeah the master choices dont seem to allow for anything other than usb/serial connection, and since my other pc is the master already i dont need another one

ewhac

Contributor
The following terminology applies if you are using the NUT UPS tool suite.

Many UPSs these days have a cable connection coming out of them -- usually serial or USB -- which the UPS uses to report its condition to a host computer. This host computer is said to be the "Master" system.

The NUT software contains drivers that can talk to the UPS and understand its reports. When the mains power dies, the UPS will send out a message, which will be heard by NUT, which will then take appropriate action (alert users/administrators, shut down the system, etc.).

The NUT software also contains a server component, which broadcasts reports from the UPS to other interested machines (these machines may also be powered through the same UPS, and thus have a vested interest in what it has to say). Such machines are said to be "slave" machines.

So: Configure a NUT master server on the machine that has the serial/USB connection to the UPS. Configure all the others machines plugged into the same UPS as slaves connecting to the master NUT server's IP address. The details of this are outlined in the NUT man pages. Read the man pages carefully; NUT has some quirky terminology, and does its own authentication.

Mr_N

Patron
ahh i see, unfortunately the other pc doesnt run NUT as its windows, i was worried that the slave connection was refering to the master pc not the ups but i was hoping otherwise :)

ewhac

Contributor

Mr_N

Patron
chuckle i think i might try setting freenas up as master connected via usb, and then see if i can get my windows pc to play along through the network connection first

Status
Not open for further replies.