UPS - NUT - NOTIFICATION: 'NOCOMM'-Statistics could not be recovered

xdddxxmx

Cadet
Hi guys,

I'm using TrueNAS Core 13.0-U4 version.
The UPS I'm using is the LADIS(雷迪司) H2000.
The drivers I'm using are: blazer_usb or nutdrv_qx.
The port is set to "auto".

Initially, the driver is detected and the shutdown signal is sent correctly. The system shuts down automatically, and everything appears to be working fine.
When I use the command "upsc ups@localhost" to check the results, I get the following:
Code:
battery.charge: 83
battery.voltage: 25.10
battery.voltage.high: 26.00
battery.voltage.low: 20.80
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.type: ups
driver.name: blazer_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.internal: 0.12
input.current.nominal: 8.0
input.frequency: 50.1
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.voltage: 232.9
input.voltage.fault: 235.0
input.voltage.nominal: 220
output.voltage: 232.9
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.load: 28
ups.productid: 5161
ups.status: OL
ups.type: offline / line interactive
ups.vendorid: 066

However, after 5-10 minutes, sometimes even 2-3 minutes, I start seeing the following message on the console:
Code:

May 11 19:13:44 truenas 1 2023-05-11T19:13:44.169087+08:88 truenas.local upsmon 3920 - - Poll UPS [ups@localhost:3493] failed - Driver not connected

And it keeps refreshing every 4-5 seconds.

I also receive emails with the following content:
TrueNAS truenas.local: Alerts
TrueNAS @ truenas.local
New alerts:

Communication with UPS ups lost.
Current alerts:

And another email:
TrueNAS truenas.local: UPS report generated by truenas.local

NOTIFICATION: 'COMMBAD'

UPS: 'ups'

Statistics could not be recovered.

A few minutes later, I receive an email with the following content:
TrueNAS truenas.local: Alerts
TrueNAS @ truenas.local

The following alert has been cleared:

I receive an email with the subject "Statistics could not be recovered" every 5 minutes.

At this point, when I use the command "upsc ups@localhost" again, I get feedback that the driver is not active.
Code:
Error: Driver not connected

Restarting the UPS service or using the "upsdrvctl start" command restores it to the initial working state. Using "upsc ups@localhost" also provides the correct feedback. However, after waiting a few minutes, the same issue reappears.

I have already tried:

Using a different USB port.
Saving the UPS configuration again.
Downgrading to TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1.
Changing the USB cable.
Trying different drivers.

But the problem persists.
Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this?
Thanks!!

unseen

Contributor
The blazer_usb driver included in TrueNAS has some problems. I fixed it for my NAS by making some changes to the blazer_usb driver.

I made a post about this here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/powerwalker-ups-problem.102943/

Have a look, if you are seeing messages from the blazer_usb driver which look like: blazer_usb 1417 - - Permissions problem: Input/output error
then it is quite likely that you are having the same problem.

xdddxxmx

Cadet
The blazer_usb driver included in TrueNAS has some problems. I fixed it for my NAS by making some changes to the blazer_usb driver.

I made a post about this here: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/powerwalker-ups-problem.102943/

Have a look, if you are seeing messages from the blazer_usb driver which look like: blazer_usb 1417 - - Permissions problem: Input/output error
then it is quite likely that you are having the same problem.
Thank you for your response.
I will try it when I have the time. Previously, when I tested it, the "nutdrv_qx" driver was also working, but the issue described above still occurred. Now, my solution is to connect the UPS to another PVE host and install NUT on that host. The TrueNAS host connects to NUT over the network. It has been running perfectly for 20 days.

unseen

Contributor
I got a new UPS recently which totally refused to work with any of the drivers included in TrueNAS. However, on Linux, the UPS was recognised by either the blazer_usb or the more recent nutdrv_qx driver. My solution was therefore to use a spare Raspberry Pi to be the master for the UPS and configure TrueNAS (plus another of my servers) as slaves.

After some testing, this works just fine and when power goes off, I can first shut down the TrueNAS, then the second server and finally the RPi and UPS.

Now I'm trying to work out how I can make space to move my Proxmox cluster to the same location so that I can run all of my servers off the same UPS. I might need a more powerful UPS though!

xdddxxmx

Cadet
I got a new UPS recently which totally refused to work with any of the drivers included in TrueNAS. However, on Linux, the UPS was recognised by either the blazer_usb or the more recent nutdrv_qx driver. My solution was therefore to use a spare Raspberry Pi to be the master for the UPS and configure TrueNAS (plus another of my servers) as slaves.

After some testing, this works just fine and when power goes off, I can first shut down the TrueNAS, then the second server and finally the RPi and UPS.

Now I'm trying to work out how I can make space to move my Proxmox cluster to the same location so that I can run all of my servers off the same UPS. I might need a more powerful UPS though!
It's a good solution.
Using TrueNAS CORE to connect to the UPS might be more suitable through a network connection rather than directly using USB or console.
Currently, I am using two UPS devices to power a TrueNAS host, a PVE host, and an H3C switch.