UPS not recognized and question about possible fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

emk2203

Guru
I have an APC Back-UPS CS 650 which should be supported via the usbhid-ups driver. However, after attaching everything, the service cannot be activated, and NUT bitches about errors.

A
Code:
usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a ups
(with default name "ups") reveals a problem, if run with the -DD option, I can see that it's the same error as this guy reported: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.user/7420

so, basically, the error
Code:
libusb_get_report: Unknown error
Can't retrieve Report 46: Input/output error

On the linked page, one guy from the manufacturer helpfully offers a patch, but I am completely out of my league how to do this (get the svn via
Code:
svn co svn://anonscm.debian.org/nut/trunk
, apply patch, compile and integrate into FreeBSD).

Any advice how to do this?

PS: patch attached for the curious.

emk2203

Attachments

• patch-back-ups-cs.diff.txt
    682 bytes · Views: 359

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What version of FreeNAS are you running?

emk2203

Guru
What version of FreeNAS are you running?
The latest and greatest... 8.3.0. I have just started with FreeNAS, so it was the latest version for me.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not too strong on applying diff files, but I'd say you have 2 options. I'm pretty sure you're going to go for option 2.

1. The forum has 2 threads on how to compile your own version of FreeNAS. If you follow those threads you should be able to apply that change and verify it works. After you've verified it you can request it be added to FreeNAS code at support.freenas.org.
2. If you don't want to or can't do option 1 then you can simply open a ticket at support.freenas.org. Keep in mind with this option you may find you have a VERY long wait time to be implemented, if it gets implemented. Often the developers opt to not add the code unless then can verify it works and doesn't cause other problems. Without access to the hardware it can be difficult to verify it actually works.

emk2203

Guru
Looks like I need to compile my own. Thanks for the pointers to the threads! I hope I can install PC-BSD 9.1 and compile FreeNAS there. Also a chance to update the annoying transmission display bug...

Status
Not open for further replies.