UPS Monitoring

geopfarth

Explorer
My system (details in signature) is plugged into a Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD UPS. I have connected that UPS to the FreeNAS with a USB cable and enabled the UPS service. The UPS can provide power for the server for about an hour if there is an outage. I have the service initiate a shutdown as soon as the battery issues a "low battery" message.

In the past week, we have had 3 relatively short (<30 minute) power outages in my neighborhood. On each of these occasions the UPS has performed as it should, but it also seems to issue the "low battery" signal awfully quickly. One of the outages was while I was home and awake and it literally was less than 2 minutes. I received low battery warnings on all 3 occasions and the server gracefully shut down each time.

Does anyone have any more experience with these types of things? The battery seems to be in proper working order, and it is less than 3 years old. Is there any better software I could load in a VM or jail to get better power management?

Thanks in advance.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi Geopfarth,

Usually, that treshold is to be configured in the UPS. I am used to APC UPS and never used one from Cyberpower. Because of that, I can not tell you how to configure yours, if it is even possible.

As for FreeNAS, it does what it is supposed to do : graceful shutdown when told to do so. So really, the source is the UPS itself and not FreeNAS.

Better luck digging about your UPS, searching your UPS manufacturer's doc or some other people using the same UPS for any technologye.

UPS batteries are like phone batteries. With age, they don't hold their charge as well. Three to five years is typically the life of a battery. Higher operating temperatures will shorten their lifespan further. Looks like Cyberpower has a 3-year battery warranty. If it is the battery, you may be able to get a replacement if your unit is still under warranty.

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again,

APC UPS can do two kind of self-test. They can do the quick self-test where they test everything and go on battery for a few seconds, but they can also do long self-test. In a long self-test, the UPS runs on its battery as long as it can, until the battery drops to 25%. It then switch back to line power.

If your UPS can do the same, you can try a long test and see how long it can run or not.

If the UPS can do long test and does not hold more than few minutes, your battery may need replacement as Seymour said.
If the UPS can do long test and it stays on battery for say 40 minutes, you know your battery is good and that it is the low level signal that is sent too quickly. You then need to re-configure it.

Good luck finding how to fix your UPS,

geopfarth

Explorer
Thanks guys, I think the battery is actually defective now or the controller on-board the UPS is bad. I had a battery that was fully charged and without losing line power at all, it issued a "low Battery" warning and the server initiated a shutdown as it was supposed to do. I have opened a case with the battery manufacturer. It is about 2 years old, so at least it is still under warranty.