upgrading / reinstalling from 0.7.1 to 8.3.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

duttman

Cadet
Hi, what has to be done to upgrade from 7 to 8? I only care about the data I don't want to save anything besides the data. Can't I just install 8 to a new usb stick and keep the stick with 7 on it until I know 8 is working ?

praecorloth

Contributor
I believe there is a large enough disconnect between the .7 series and the 8.x series that there is no easy upgrade path. Meaning backup your data elsewhere, install FreeNAS 8, recreate you pool of drives, put the data back on to FreeNAS.

mxcross

Cadet
Hi. Curious how you went with saving the data.?
My version 7 crashed (it was on a usb and died) so i had to upgrade to version 8 last night......need to be able to get the data of the drives in my server......any ideas?
I had 4 1.5tb drives, in two mirrors.
Drives 1 and 2 mirror
Drives 3 and 4 mirror.

really need to data.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
you didnt HAVE to upgrade to version 8, because FreeNAS 8.x is NOT the same as FreeNAS .7. FreeNAS .7 became NAS4FREE....you could easily use NAS4FREE and pick up where you left off.

Technically it is possible to import your storage into FreeNAS, but this seems like its probably above your level

mxcross

Cadet
thanks pirateghost. ill rebuild to nas4free. i noticed that the recent version is 9 would that work with my data? or should i look for 7. ill also move to post on their forum. thanks again.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You should ask them if your data is accessible in version 9. Since their project is not related to this one we just plain don't know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.