Moving from 0.7.1 to 9.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredy

Cadet
Hello everyone!

I have been running FreeNAS 0.7.1 for a couple of years now (4x2TB configured in a ZFS RAID-Z1 array). I know all the settings and config of my old version cannot be ported to 9.2.0, but this is not a major issue for me. No change of hardware will happen for now.

One thing I would like though is re-import my old ZFS volume into the new software without losing data. Besides performing a scrub on my current ZFS volume before the upgrade, is there anything else I should consider doing to make sure my ZFS volume will be imported successfully under 9.2?

Cheers!

enemy85

Guru
FreeNAS is using zpool version 5000 while NAS4Free is still version 28, so u should upgrade the zpool version before importing the volume i guess....search in the forum for better explanation!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There is no significant reason to upgrade the pool version, and it would prevent you from switching back if there was a problem.

enemy85

Guru
ah
There is no significant reason to upgrade the pool version, and it would prevent you from switching back if there was a problem.

ah ok, my fault, I thought it was necessary to import volumes created with older version of FreeNas, but now I know it's not.
So, if I can ask, in which case is mandatory the zpool version upgrade? Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
When you want to use features only present in the new pool version.

Dusan

Guru
One thing I would like though is re-import my old ZFS volume into the new software without losing data. Besides performing a scrub on my current ZFS volume before the upgrade, is there anything else I should consider doing to make sure my ZFS volume will be imported successfully under 9.2?
It should "just work"(TM), but we already saw few cases where it didn't. Install FreeNAS to a new USB stick and try it, you can always boot back to your current version.
FreeNAS is using zpool version 5000 while NAS4Free is still version 28, so u should upgrade the zpool version before importing the volume i guess....search in the forum for better explanation!
You can't even upgrade an exported pool. zpool upgrade only works on imported pools.

Fredy

Cadet
Thanks everybody! I installed 9.2 on another CF, booted and imported my old ZFS pool and everything is working fine now.
Had an issue with one of the drive that could not my opened by ZFS, but it was caused by an old graid flag that had to be cleaned on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.