upgrading my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynorx

Explorer
A couple of years ago with help from the community I was able to put together a very nice rock solid system. For some reason I decided to update it this week.
What I currently have :
Super Micro X10SL7-F
Intel Core i3-4330 Haswell Dual-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 54W
16gb CT2KIT102472BD160B (DDR3 1600 ECC UDIMM 240P)
4-3TB WD REDS
Seasonic power supply. 650watt

What I purchased:
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1270L v4
https://ark.intel.com/products/87721/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1270L-v4-6M-Cache-3_00-GHz

I found the cpu on ebay from what seems to be a reputable vendor out here in California.
I purchased the cpu because when I called super micro tech support they told me that indeed it was compatible. All I had to do was to update to the latest bios version 3.
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c220/x10sl7-f.cfm

loaded the bios flash utility on a bootable usb drive, successfully flashed it. swapped out cpu along with fresh thermal compound. All I get is super micro boot screen on the bottom is states
"system Initializing on the right bottom corner and on the left bottom corner it gives a 15. The system just hangs there. (left it along for a while, nothing...)

Things Ive tried:

Resetting Bios via jumper: removed battery and unplugged power cable.
Jumper settings for entering bios into manufacture mode (safe mode)
checked ram was seated correctly.
Made sure ram it was on correct slots (Dimm A1 and Dimm B1 AKA black slots)

What works:
I put back the original cpu (Core i3-4330) and the system posts and Im able to go back in the bios setting no problem.

I will come in to the office early and call super micro tech support and report my findings as soon as I get a response. If anyone has any Ideas please let me know. Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Did you update the IPMI as well?

Mynorx

Explorer
Jailer, Im running the system with monitor and keyboard. I belive the IPMI is the software I would use if I was remotely accessing it. I will look up more information on IPMI.

I contacted tech support we ran through different steps and they said it must be the CPU thats bad. I will start a return process with ebay.

Stux

MVP
Did you try with just a single DIMM installed?

Could be a memory incompatibility issue

Mynorx

Explorer
Did you try with just a single DIMM installed?

Could be a memory incompatibility issue

Hi. I tried everything this darn thing wont work. I put the original i3 cpu and everything works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.