Upgrading jail does not seem to work

Svenkk4

Dabbler
Hi,
i have recently upgraded TrueNAS to 12.0-U8. My next step was to upgrade my only jail (i am running nextcloud in it, directly installed not as plugin) too. So i basically used this instructions: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-update-upgrade-true-freenas-jails.96640/
i selected 12.3 for the release!

So everything seemed to work but, in the webGUI the jail shows 11.3-RELEASE-p14 in the release field for the jail! But when i open the shell for the jail i am getting greeted with this: FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p12 ec84e0c52a1(HEAD) TRUENAS
also when opening the nextcloud interface and visit the systeminformation view i get the same information (note that i selected 12.3 not 12.2 in the upgrade process)
But when calling: freebsd-version -u in the shell i get 11.3-RELEASE-p14
but uname -a gives the 12.2 stuff

Whats wrong here?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
uname reports the version of your TrueNAS host, not the one running in the jail.

TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8 is still based on FreeBSD 12.2. I, personally, would leave the jails at 12.2 + patch levels, rather than outright "leap-frog" them to a 12.3 base. (To keep the server and jails with a common base OS version.)

But when calling: freebsd-version -u in the shell i get 11.3-RELEASE-p14
Have you restarted the jail? What about freebsd-version -k

And what about iocage list

EDIT: You probably created a Clone Jail instead of a Base Jail. I only use Base Jails, and don't mind the extra initial space they require. Updating and upgrading them all is seamless.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
I'm pretty certain that jails cannot have a newer version of OS than the Host system. If the Host system is 12.2, then that is the limit for any jails.