FreeBSD Version mismatch and linking issues after jail rollback

GLaDER

Dabbler
SYSTEM INFO
UPS:
APC Back-UPS Pro 650 VA
Motherboard: SuperMicro A2SDI-4C-HLN4F-O
RAM: 16 GB (2x Samsung 8GB DDR4 ECC REG 2400Mhz x4 SR)
Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD
Pool: 4x Toshiba HDWG180 (8 TB)

BACKGROUND
I have been running Nextcloud in a jail for quite a while. The other day I realized that I have neglected keeping the jail up to date and set out to fix that. I intended to upgrade PHP, upgrade the jail itself, as well as upgrade Nextcloud.

The status before I started the upgrade:
  • Jail version: FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p14
  • PHP version: 7.2.34
  • Nextcloud version: 19.0.6
I figured it would be a good idea to start "from the bottom", upgrading the Jail, then PHP, then Nextcloud.

The goal was to:
  • Upgrade the jail to FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE
  • Upgrade PHP to version 8
  • Upgrade Nextcloud to version 21

WHAT I DID
Before I started, I took a snapshot of my jail.

Having already upgraded a couple of other jails, I started with: sudo iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE nextcloud. I got a warning about PHP 7.2 not being supported in the target version, but I figured that was fine since I intended to upgrade to PHP 8 anyway. The upgrade itself worked fine :)

After successfully upgrading the jail, Nextcloud was of course not working anymore. PHP was gone. I spent a couple of hours trying to get things in order again but eventually (with some help from #nextcloud) I realized that I made a mistake: You should not skip Nextcloud versions. (See documentation.) Fortunately, my data was intact but I figured I might as well rollback the jail and start over.

THE PROBLEM(S)
So, I went into the TrueNAS GUI, headed over to Snapshots and simply pressed Rollback. The rollback progress in itself seemed uneventful, but once I headed over to the jail I noticed a couple of issues.

Problem 1
Some programs no longer work, in the jail. The most noteworthy is vim, which gives the following error when I try to run it:

/lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.6 required by /usr/local/lib/libepoll-shim.so.0 not found

I don't really know where this is comes from as the lib is present in /lib/.

root@nextcloud:/ # ll /lib/libc*
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 1775880 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libc.so.7
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 203360 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libcam.so.7
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 22448 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libcasper.so.0
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 58024 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libcrypt.so.5
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 2572608 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libcrypto.so.8
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 66160 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libctf.so.2
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 111664 Jun 19 2020 /lib/libcxxrt.so.1

I have tried pkg update and pkg upgrade, but everything is up to date (according to pkg).

Problem 2
The second problem is that I am unable to restart my upgrade attempt. I expected that -- after the rollback of the jail -- I would simply be able to run sudo iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE nextcloud again and be on my way. However, running the command results in:

Jail: nextcloud is already at version 12.2-RELEASE!

The GUI says the same thing and after some searching around I found that cat /mnt/volume1/iocage/jails/nextcloud/config.json also claims that

"release": "12.2-RELEASE-p11",

However, running freebsd-version inside the jail clearly indicates that is not the case:

root@nextcloud:/ # freebsd-version
11.3-RELEASE-p14

SOLUTION?
Is the config.json simply not updated by the rollback command, and I can safely change the version manually?

Any help is greatly appreciated.