Upgrading iocage jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecttothis

Explorer
Are there plans to implement this procedure (http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-use.html#upgrading-jails) into the FreeNAS GUI? I understand that historically the standard line with upgrading Jails has been "delete it and start over" but that's ridiculous for those of us running something like a hardened webserver with hundreds of hours of tweaks invested.

Currently I'm sitting on an 11.0 Jail and cannot upgrade a version of MySQL that has a two-page list of vulnerabilities (according to "pkg audit") because the newer version has a dependency on 11.1.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
And why wouldn't iocage upgrade -r 11.1-RELEASE <jail> work in your case?

Patrick

mast07

Cadet
One reason could be, that the jail was created by warden (which is the default for the FreeNAS GUI) and not by iocage (which is going to be default some day).

I also would like to know a solution for this matter because i've the same problem...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The title of the thread is "Upgrading iocage jails" ;)

Patrick

fracai

Guru
at some point (currently 11.3 I think) upgrading to a new version of FreeNAS will migrate your warden jails to iocage. Presumably at that point they could also be upgraded via iocage to a more recent release.

objecttothis

Explorer
Yes my current situation is that I have a warden created jail but I read that there will be a migration script from warden to iocage. My question has to do with once the jail is iocage and whether there will be a GUI option for updating the base OS of the jail. I have not tried the CLI because I'm still on warden and waiting until kinks get worked out before migrating a production jail.

andrew2005

Dabbler
And why wouldn't iocage upgrade -r 11.1-RELEASE <jail> work in your case?

Patrick
I think it's a valid question though as we're often told to stay away from the CLI and use the GUI. In a general sense the GUI does things a certain way and using the CLI could affect that.

I personally quite like the CLI and miss the Corral CLI where we could do everything that way but still be supported and not breaking things!

I think it's a valid question though as we're often told to stay away from the CLI and use the GUI. In a general sense the GUI does things a certain way and using the CLI could affect that.

I personally quite like the CLI and miss the Corral CLI where we could do everything that way but still be supported and not breaking things!
Right now since we are in a transitional period where both Warden and IOcage are in play some of the things for IOcage are required to be done via command line. Once the transition is done that will no longer be the case. As far as the reasoning there are things that the FreeNAS system keeps track of and expects to happen at certain times and when someone issues a command directly it can throw the system off. Basically kinda the same way as if you and your wife/girlfriend/SO have identical list to go to the store and just enough money in the account to buy the things on the list but didn't inform each other that you were going to go pic the stuff up. You end up with a major problem at some point where an account gets overdrawn and you don't have enough room for everything purchased. Except you are doing this with important data you don't really want to restore from backups or it is your backup point.

As far as Corral.....
latest

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'm still missing the user interface. And the networking setup was way better structured than today's FreeNAS 11. Then there was the graphical volume setup wizard ... a ton of stuff.

Patrick

You are always free to Fork FreeNAS Corral and develop it out. You are not the only person who misses it. You can all get together and try to fix the issues sans ixSystems

When I first saw the UI on Corral I was not thrilled. Sometimes more is less and the GUI being bloated with pretty things can cause more issues than needed.

objecttothis

Explorer
Right now since we are in a transitional period where both Warden and IOcage are in play some of the things for IOcage are required to be done via command line. Once the transition is done that will no longer be the case.

Understood. Does this mean that the roadmap eventually has either an automatic update of the jail base-system when FreeNAS is update or a GUI option to update the base system in iocage jails?

I would suggest trolling the roadmap and see what it says otherwise maybe one of the developers on the forums can answer that or a feature request can be put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.