Upgrading to 11.2 with manually created iocage jails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcguire525

Explorer
Now that 11.2 is official I'll soon be upgrading from 11.1. I manually installed iocage in its own pool/dataset and manually installed each iocage jail, I also had to add a few tunables to get the vnet bridge to work properly and rename each jail's vnet bc of an older bug. Since iocage itself has a new version in 11.2 and the issues I mentioned have been fixed with the release itself, what is the best way to upgrade? Should I remove those tunables related to iocage before hand, and do I need to instruct Freenas to my iocage location in anyway since I used "iocage activate" when setting it up in a different pool?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Just run the upgrade and they will all be there in the GUI and functioning properly.

gt2416

Patron
Through the new UI, you can stop the jail and change the base version from 11.1 to 11.2-p6.
You can also run iocage upgrade -r 11.2-RELEASE PLUGINNAME to upgrade to 11.2.
For warden, use the migration script.

adrianwi

Guru
Yep, my manually created iocage jails all worked fine after upgrading to 11.2, except the OpenVPN one which needed an extra parameter set to work.

I've started the process of upgrading their base FreeBSD from 11.1 to 11.2 which has worked on 2 so far, but it looks like the ones created using a .json script require a slightly different approach which I haven't worked out yet.

jmcguire525

Explorer
Through the new UI, you can stop the jail and change the base version from 11.1 to 11.2-p6.
You can also run iocage upgrade -r 11.2-RELEASE PLUGINNAME to upgrade to 11.2.
For warden, use the migration script.

So iocage itself should update with the system, then each jail can be updated? I know when I first installed I had to "fetch" the proper release during install, I assume that is only during install and shouldn't be done again. If I check "iocage --version" it is 1.0 APLHA 1, is that the latest for 11.2?

pschatz100

Guru
Yep, my manually created iocage jails all worked fine after upgrading to 11.2, except the OpenVPN one which needed an extra parameter set to work.

I've started the process of upgrading their base FreeBSD from 11.1 to 11.2 which has worked on 2 so far, but it looks like the ones created using a .json script require a slightly different approach which I haven't worked out yet.
Which is why I always used standard iocage commands when manually creating and managing jails. Many scripts posted on this forum do weird things or install "extra stuff" that is not really necessary. If you don't fully understand what the script is doing, then you have no good way to go back and manage it later.

All my jails run just fine under 11.2, and they can be managed from the GUI. I have one jail that was created in 11.1 and I was able to update it to 11.2 using the GUI. Yes, I do maintain installed applications manually rather than using plugins, but the jails themselves are easy to manage. Very convenient, and no surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.