SOLVED Upgrading from FreeNAS-11.1-U2 ?

Kuo

Dabbler
Hi,

I am currently running with FreeNAS-11.1-U2.

Should I update first to FreeNAS-11.1-U7 (last release of this train) ? Or can I go directly to FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1 without risk ?

What precautions should I take before update, if any?

Thank you! :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Should I update first to FreeNAS-11.1-U7 ? Or no needs?
I would do that, as a precaution, but it is not a requirement that I am aware of.
What precautions should I take before update, if any?
I would suggest making a backup of your configuration database. Just on the off chance your boot media fails and you need to recover by doing a fresh install.

There have been several people that had their boot media fail during the upgrade, but they were all using USB boot media.

Reactions: Kuo

Kuo

Dabbler
Oh you answered too fast, before my edit :D thank you :)

OK I saved my configuration, let's update!

Kuo

Dabbler
The upgrade to FreeNAS-11.1-U7 went well. I made a backup of this new configuration.

BUT, the upgrade to 11.2-U4.1 failed !! :eek:
I waited 15 minutes after the automatic reboot. He wasn't coming back on my network. So I turned it off to connect the screen and keyboard. And here's what I find, after another 15 minutes of waiting:
IMG_20190515_224523.jpg

It gets stuck on it.
What should I do now? Download the 11.1-U7 iso, install it and reload the backup? Or is there something else to do?

20 minutes later :
IMG_20190515_230504.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you watch the boot, at the very start there should be a menu where you can choose to do something other than boot FreeNAS. I can't recall exactly how it is formatted, but there is an option you can access from the boot menu that will let you boot back into the previous environment without needing to do a fresh installation.

Reactions: Kuo

Kuo

Dabbler
Indeed, there is a menu that looks like Grub (if not Grub itself).
So I successfully restarted on 11.1-U7.
What should I do next? Try the update again as if nothing had happened?

Kuo

Dabbler
I tried again to update and it worked successfully.