Upgrading 8.2.0 beta to final once it is released

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenFry

Contributor
Being new to FreeNAS, I'm not sure how it has worked in the past, and certainly not how it will go with the currently newest version:

If I install the 8.2.0beta now, is it to be expected that upgrading it to the final (or at least non-beta) version will be a (GUI) update, or is it more likely the system will need a full reinstall?

ProtoSD

MVP
Usually, upgrading from a beta to a final release it is recommended to upgrade using a CD, not the GUI. It still transfers all of your settings that way also. They're trying to improve a lot of little stuff like that in 8.2, like only needing to reboot once, but I don't know if that is one of those things.

StephenFry

Contributor
It still transfers all of your settings that way also.

Ah, that would be great. Hopefully this will be the case. Thanks, protosd.

cp2222

Cadet
Hey Folks - Started using FreeNas at an early 8.0 rc product - fantastic job guys.

I'm currently running 8.2.0-beta2 on an x64 prolian microserver, with all the plug-ins installed. I'm about to upgrade to Beta3, and the documentation tells me that the earlier plug-ins will probably fail. So I've downloaded the plug-ins associated with Beta3.

Is there a process for upgrading the plug-ins - or should I unload prior to the Beta2-3 upgrades?

Cheers
Chris.

cp2222

Cadet
plug-in update

And there it is...

http://protosd.blogspot.com.au/

OLD PLUGINS FROM BETA-2 WILL NOT WORK ON BETA-3!
If you upgraded from beta-2 to beta-3, you need to uninstall your plugins and install the new versions of those plugins! This is one reason people were warned to wait.

Here's a quick screenshot of the new beta-3 GUI, notice the new "Sub-tab" that says Plugins when you click on Control Services. If you click on the Plugins sub-tab, this is were you will add plugins after installing the Plugin Jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.