SOLVED Upgraded to TrueNAS - What happened to my jails?

ninjai

Explorer
I was having problems with TrueNAS freezing on upgrade so I rolled back to 11.3. Today the power went out, NAS hard reset. To my surprise, it upgraded to TrueNAS. Maybe I didn't change the default boot environment... I dunno.

In any event, I wanted to get here at some point anyways. So now I have my jails running and the output of iocage list shows they're all on 11.3-RELEASE. When I try to upgrade my plex jail I get weird errors. When I'm in my plex jail and issue uname -r, it shows FreeBSD 12.2-RC3 When I run freebsd-version I get 11.3-RELEASE-p11. This confuses me.

In other cases, I'm getting this:
# /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install
Updates cannot be installed when the system securelevel
is greater than zero.

How do I get my jails up to 12.2?

iocage upgrade JAIL -r 12.2-RELEASE

ninjai

Explorer
Yeah nah that doesn't work. Once that's done you get told to run /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install, as above. Then I get the message about the security level.

ninjai

Explorer
OK so I did some digging. My securelevel on my OS is -1, and my securelevel on my jails is 2. From what the documentation says, sounds like this is normal. I can't find specific documentation on TrueNAS 12, so I found this on the 11.3 documentation:
Value of the jail securelevel sysctl. A jail never has a lower securelevel than the host system. Setting this parameter allows a higher securelevel. If the host system securelevel is changed, jail securelevel will be at least as secure. Securelevel options are: 3, 2 (default), 1, 0, and -1.

My host:
Code:
% sysctl -n kern.securelevel   

My jails:
Code:
# sysctl -n kern.securelevel

So if this is normal, default, and expected... how can I upgrade them to 12.2-RELEASE? I don't really understand how, but all of mine are on 11.3-RELEASE when I do iocage list... except for one, which is apparently on 11.4-RELEASE but I didn't think that was even a release.

ninjai

Explorer
Figured it out, it's been so long since I've upgraded jails I think I was doing it the way I used to do it from warden (sudo iocage console jailname; freebsd-update upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE, then running /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install)

What I needed to do was:
sudo iocage upgrade -r 12.2-RELEASE jailname

Looks like I even made a script about a year ago (November 29th 2019) to update each jail one at a time...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So if this is normal, default, and expected... how can I upgrade them to 12.2-RELEASE? I don't really understand how, but all of mine are on 11.3-RELEASE when I do iocage list... except for one, which is apparently on 11.4-RELEASE but I didn't think that was even a release.
What you are seeing are not FreeNAS/TrueNAS releases but FreeBSD releases. There is FreeBSD 11.4, so that's perfectly valid to see in a jail. The contents of a jail are "just" plain FreeBSD - nothing TrueNAS specific here. Similar for iocage - we manage our entire data centre with that.