truenas version decoder ring - what version am i running?

keithpjolley

Cadet
i got an email recently saying `TrueNAS 12.0-U7 is released and is recommended for even the most conservative users...` so being the kind of user that tries to go with whatever the vendor recommends i mouse around in the web interface to see if i'm behind. the version listed is:

Current Train: TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE - Release Train for TrueNAS 12.0 [release]

it says no updates are available but that is not the same as "you are running what we recommend." so i go hunting through the documentation and this forum for the decoder ring that must have fallen out of my cereal box. One post says to look at the motd and another says to use uname.

motd: FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p11 75566f060d4(HEAD) TRUENAS
uname: FreeBSD nas06.example.com 12.2-RELEASE-p11 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p11 75566f060d4(HEAD) TRUENAS amd64

nope. neither of those are helpful because they don't tell me if i'm running the recommended version - 12.0-U7.

follow the link in the email to get here: https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/core/12.0u7/

on this page i see no reference to 12.0-STABLE or 12.2-RELEASE-p11 - grr.

running a recursive grep in /etc spits out /etc/version: TrueNAS-12.0-U7 (0c67ffe995) so it appears that i'm where i need to be.

i know unsolicited advice isn't worth the bits its transmitted on but may i suggest choosing a versioning system and being consistent with it? if you are going to recommend a specific version make it easy to verify people are in fact on the recommended version.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The graphical dashboard shows version when you log into the NAS.

1640031221751.png

keithpjolley

Cadet
ok. i already found the version number. my point is that the versioning is inconsistent and there isn't documentation that i could find to get get this info. here's what i saw when i went to update - an alternate versioning system. pick one, the other, or document how the two are related is what i was hoping for.
1640032165094.png