upgraded from 8.x to 9.2 - can I import saved config file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklyn

Dabbler
My hard drive where freeNAS 8.x was installed croaked so I had to replace it and I reloaded version 9.2 instead from scratch. I'm at the webGUI admin screens but I don't know if it's possible to import my config file that I saved in 8.x or do I basically need to start over? Or is there a place I can just drop the config file to and reboot?

If I have to start over, can I search the config.xml file I saved for certain settings so I can set it back up the same way I had it?

marklyn

Dabbler
edit: I found the "upload config" under system/settings but when I do that for the saved config file (from 8.x) it says "an error occurred" and it doesn't appear to work. Ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
it shouldn't be .xml.. it should be .db. And if its saying an error occurred either what you are uploading isn't a FreeNAS config file or your file is corrupt.

marklyn

Dabbler
it shouldn't be .xml.. it should be .db. And if its saying an error occurred either what you are uploading isn't a FreeNAS config file or your file is corrupt.
It is an xml file, I guess from the earlier version of FreeNAS. Is there any way to convert it to a .db file?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Uhh.. it's been .db for at least 2 years.....You are the first and only person I've heard of to claim it was .xml. Maybe FreeNAS 7?

marklyn

Dabbler
Uhh.. it's been .db for at least 2 years.....You are the first and only person I've heard of to claim it was .xml. Maybe FreeNAS 7?

I suppose it is. I thought I was up to 8.x but it sounds like that isn't the case. I'm guessing I have to set everything back up from scratch.
If I import my volumes (UFS) will I erase any data on them?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Should be able to import them without any problems assuming their setup is compatible with FreeNAS 8+.

marklyn

Dabbler
I'm reading the new 9.2 manual and learning of course that I can't import settings from .7x, which isn't a surprise and learning more about importing volumes. Appears that one of my two UFS volumes doesn't want to import or gives me an error but hopefully I'll find the answer in the manuel.
Thanks for the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.