Upgrade Path From 9.2.1.5 ??? Can it still be done???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatchDog

Dabbler
OK so I have neglected my FreeNas box for about 3 years now. Its been running fine as an old IT guy said to me before, you don't mess up a good thing.

I want to start the upgrade path on it but am afraid it may be too late since the revision is now 9.10.

Is there a recommended upgrade path from 9.2.1.5 which is what I am running currently? If so where do I find these archived images? I tried to look up on the forum documentation for my version but it seems to be archived.

I have read the documentation on doing the upgrade through the GUI and its pretty straight forward. Yes I will do a backup of my config before I do any upgrades, just curious if I can make such a big jump in the versions. Where do I find a copy of 9.2.1.5 if my upgrade does got to $h1t...

Look forward to the POSITIVE responsive coming my way.
Thanks
PatchDog

m0nkey_

MVP
As long as it's a 64-bit system, you can do this: 9.2.1.9 > 9.3.1 > 9.10.

If your existing system is running 32-bit, the latest you can run is 9.2.1.9.

And as always prior to upgrading, backup the configuration.

PatchDog

Dabbler

Yes it is 64bit. Okay looks like a clear path unless some else objects.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you use smb it will probably break permissions. You won't be able to make new jails after you move to 9.10 until you rebuild them with the freebsd 10 jail.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PatchDog

Dabbler
Upgrade to 9.2.1.9 was successful. Going to run it about a week before the upgrade to 9.3.1

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The <9.2.1.6 ---> 9.2.1.6 and newer transition is the trickiest one, because of the major changes to Samba and user authentication. From there, Samba shouldn't break anything major with the updates.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The <9.2.1.6 ---> 9.2.1.6 and newer transition is the trickiest one, because of the major changes to Samba and user authentication. From there, Samba shouldn't break anything major with the updates.
Well, I believe there was an issue with one of the 9.2.1.6+ releases where for some reason the FreeNAS server ended up generating a new local SID for itself (whoops!). This caused the server's group mappings / user mappings to break, which in term caused users to lose access to their shares. If you're on 9.2.1.9 and your permissions are intact, then you should be relatively home-free from the perspective of samba (assuming that 9.3+ can run on your hardware).

Oko

Contributor
I don't want to open new thread. I am in the similar boat like OP except that my two NAS boxes run 9.2.1.9 (amd64 no Jails, just NFS and LDAP authentication). My question is should I upgrade to 9.3.1 release first and than to 9.10 or should I go from 9.2.1.9 directly to 9.10? I saw at least one post where people are reporting successful upgrade from 9.2.1.9 directly to 9.10.
On the another hand FreeBSD never supported upgrade from the major releases. So 9.2.1.9 or for that matter 9.3.1 to 9.10 in essence is downloading configuration files, reinstalling the system and then uploading configuration files and ZFS pool in particular. My FreeNAS boxes run of small SSD drives and I am not concern about root on ZFS. However I can't effort to lose data, or end up with broken LDAP authorization/authentication or crippled NFS (is NFSv3 still the default for 9.10). I actually like NFSv3 much better than NFSv4.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't want to open new thread. I am in the similar boat like OP except that my two NAS boxes run 9.2.1.9 (amd64 no Jails, just NFS and LDAP authentication). My question is should I upgrade to 9.3.1 release first and than to 9.10 or should I go from 9.2.1.9 directly to 9.10? I saw at least one post where people are reporting successful upgrade from 9.2.1.9 directly to 9.10.
On the another hand FreeBSD never supported upgrade from the major releases. So 9.2.1.9 or for that matter 9.3.1 to 9.10 in essence is downloading configuration files, reinstalling the system and then uploading configuration files and ZFS pool in particular. My FreeNAS boxes run of small SSD drives and I am not concern about root on ZFS. However I can't effort to lose data, or end up with broken LDAP authorization/authentication or crippled NFS (is NFSv3 still the default for 9.10). I actually like NFSv3 much better than NFSv4.
You have a more complex configuration. You should build up a test environment and verify LDAP doesn't break.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JIsabelle218

Dabbler

I'm in a similar situation, going from 9.2.1.6 to current. I would like to utilize the GUI update feature as i have in the past. I downloaded the 9.2.1.9 release x64 GUI update from the site, applied it in the GUI with correct SHA256 checksum. I get to "step 2 of 2
(1/3 Uploading firmware)"
It hangs there for a few seconds then disappears and I get an error has occurred at the top of the GUI.

I tried the same process with 9.2.1.7 with the same results. Also tried using Chrome and IE.
Debug attached, hope this helps.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20161010094533.tgz
    430.2 KB · Views: 254
Status
Not open for further replies.