Dabbler
So by way of pre-amble, my hardware is as follows:
  • Asrock C2750D4I
  • 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Crucial CT2CP102472BD160B DDR3 unbuffered ECC
  • 6 X 3 TB WD Red RaidZ2
  • 8 GB SanDisk Cruizer Fit Boot Device
  • Seasonic G Series 550W modular 80 Plus Gold
  • Fractal Node 304
Said build has been running stable on FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 for over a year. As I don't like the prospects of being too far behind the latest release, I decided to take the, relatively, short step forward to 9.3 and avoid the pain associated with larger upgrade steps in the future. As you are reading this, you might surmise that it didn't exactly work out that way.

What I did:
  • Backed up my stable config.
  • Performed a "GUI" upgrade
  • Noticed that my configuration didn't "survive" the process, so I imported my previously saved configuration.
This is where the "fun" started:

• The NUT service seems to have gone completely (I haven't really gotten to this one yet)
  • My jails were all kinds of messed up. After reading here it seemed like the best recourse was going to be scrap them and start over. The rub comes in that I can't seem to create a jail that has access to the outside world. Specifically, this means that if I create a jail (no template specified, IPv4 address and submask, leaving Autostart and VIMAGE checked), I get a standard jail, but if I simply go to the shell and try and ping say "google.com", I get told that the jail can't find the host. I can ping other servers (by IP on my network, and I can ping the jail by IP from other servers.)
I did read that there may be an issue with leaving VIMAGE checked, so I tried unchecking that and specifying a NIC, but that was to no avail.

If anyone has any good ideas on what my issue might be, I'd muchly appreciate the input.

I am contemplating doing a "clean install" of 9.3 or even potentially rolling back to a 9.2 version, but wanted to see of there were any suggestions before I get any more radical.

Thanks in advance!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My jails were all kinds of messed up. After reading here it seemed like the best recourse was going to be scrap them and start over. The rub comes in that I can't seem to create a jail that has access to the outside world. Specifically, this means that if I create a jail (no template specified, IPv4 address and submask, leaving Autostart and VIMAGE checked), I get a standard jail, but if I simply go to the shell and try and ping say "google.com", I get told that the jail can't find the host. I can ping other servers (by IP on my network, and I can ping the jail by IP from other servers.)
I'm afraid I can't help with this one, but I believe there were some Jails changes from 9.2 to 9.3. So, someone might have an answer (or it might already be on the forum).

The NUT service seems to have gone completely (I haven't really gotten to this one yet)
As in "Not configured", "the service seems to be completely missing from the OS" or something else?

The first one is odd (there were some issues in some old 9.3 version, but they've long since been fixed - fix would be to just reconfigure it. The second one is highly messed up and indicative of a bad install - I'd reinstall the latest 9.3 Stable release from a verified image.

FloridaDan

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards a clean install myself, and will probably be picking up an overpriced USB drive from a big box store on my way home so I can be entirely clean.

To clarify the NUT issue, I can see the service and everything, but nothing I do ever causes it to start. (I still feel that's a bad install.)

I have seen plenty of people talking about using portsnap with jails, so I figured there wasn't some deep issue, but I also wanted to guard against my having missed something obvious.

For clarity, what I installed when I did the upgrade was FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332. That was the latest and greatest stable that was available on the download site.

FloridaDan

Dabbler
OK, so sometimes you have to take the long road to see a simple answer, or at least part of a simple answer

I did get another USB drive, and I did do a clean install on it, and voila, I was able to create a jail that could ping the internet, and more importantly, see portsnap. Everything was good and right until such time as I tried creating a jail that used one of the IP addresses I'd been using for the last year. That caused everything to disintegrate again. After some soul searching, I remember that I'd actually nailed the IP addresses in my router as well (to prevent anything else from getting assigned them.) What I didn't remember was that the router specification included the MAC address for the jail. Those of course changed. Actually, they seem to have also changed when I upgraded 9.2.1.5 to 9.3 (I can't tell you why, but they did.)

As soon as I adjusted the MAC address in the router to match my "new" jail, everything was right and good again.

It also appears that the weirdness with NUT has been resolved, though I still have quite a bit of work to do to get my jails back, so I'll test NUT in a while. For now I'm content to know that the box is on a UPS and running stable.

Now that I'm over the hump <looking around for wood to knock on> I'm rather liking 9.3. It seems like it's overall "snappier" than what I'd become used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.