Upgrade from FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 to TrueNAS12.0-U4

supernova86

Cadet
Is it safe to upgrade a system (without any jails, plugins or encryption) in offline mode by booting the ISO ? I don't want to spend time upgrading from one release to next one till I get to 12.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you just have some shares and not many users, it might be simpler just to build a fresh install of 12 and import your pools and re-create the users/shares/permissions.

If you want to avoid that need, you will need to jump through the hoops you mention of going to 11, 11.3 and then 12.

supernova86

Cadet
If you just have some shares and not many users, it might be simpler just to build a fresh install of 12 and import your pools and re-create the users/shares/permissions.

If you want to avoid that need, you will need to jump through the hoops you mention of going to 11, 11.3 and then 12.
Can the disks of the current pools stay connected during the fresh install ? (of course I'll be careful not to install TrueNAS on of the disks of the pools)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Can the disks of the current pools stay connected during the fresh install ?
Sure. As you say, be careful not to target them with the installation or you'll lose the contents. It is clear enough which disks are which though, so mistakes would only come from inattention.

supernova86

Cadet
Sure. As you say, be careful not to target them with the installation or you'll lose the contents. It is clear enough which disks are which though, so mistakes would only come from inattention.
Yeah, the installation disk is the only 500GB one .. so hard to miss :D. Thanks for the help!

zimmy6996

Explorer

I'm actually in the exact same boat running 9.10.2-U6. With that said, if I want to get to 12, is the best route, or would you be served better building install USB sticks for each upgrade???

1) From GUI, Change to FreeNAS-11-STABLE
2) Check for updates, and apply
3) Reboot
4) Verify system is functional, DO NOT UPGRADE POOL
5) From GUI, Change to FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE
6) Check for updates, and apply
7) Reboot
8) Verify system is functional, DO NOT UPGRADE POOL
9) From GUI, Change to FreeNAS-12.0-STABLE
10) Check for updates, and apply
11) Reboot
12) Verify system is functional, DO NOT UPGRADE POOL
13) After confident that 12.0 is working, upgrade pool.

The FreeNAS system I'm running has 192GB of RAM, and plenty of CPU, so i'm not worried about the specs of the system.

Last edited: