Upgrade from FreeNas 11.3-U5 to TrueNas-12.U7 Broke Win Share Permissions

Cosmas

Cadet
I was experiencing upgrade failures with the very common auto-update failing to download the train file so I performed a manual update from FN 11.3-U5 to TN 12.U7 using the tar file only to discover later that the reason I couldn't auto-update was because I had the static network config incorrect. Correct IP, wrong DNS server. :frown: As soon as I changed it the auto-updater worked but it was too late by then, the system was upgraded.

Anyway.. beyond that, the next thing I noticed was that my mapped network drives in Win10 did not allow me to read/write files so I recreated the connection but it made no change. Here's the main jist: Interestingly, I CAN read/write files if I simply go to: \\192.168.1.101\mnt\Share in an explorer window but as SOON as I go to map that exact location to a the X: drive I lose the ability to read/write.

Things I've done:
  1. Disabled the SMB service and stripped and reset the ACLs to OPEN > Rebooted
  2. I disabled NFS services then recreated the share > Rebooted
  3. Uploaded my old FN11.3U5 config (Maybe a bad idea?)
  4. Created a separate user and set the permissions to read/write for everything no the share.
My main concern at this point is that jumping to the latest version that quickly instead of incrementally upgrading it broke things in a big bad way. It seems stable, no disk issues or anything but I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of the config menus to know what I have set wrong. As far as best practices go, should I be using both SMB and NFS?