TrueNAS 12 upgrade and then a share looks empty...

ChrisRM

Dabbler
I upgraded from 11.3-U5 to 12 and all appeared to go well, until I tried playing music from a SMB share to a Linux music player. The share ('Music') is visible and usable from Win10, visible and empty from macOS, and invisible to Linux. As far as I can see, I've set the same ACLs as on the other shares that I can get to and use, but it just sits there being non-existent. Can someone give me a hint as to where to look, please?

Chris M

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Did you see this in the release notes under known issues? (Maybe you're using root as the user?)

TrueNAS "root" user account cannot be an SMB user.This is an intentional change to improve software security and suitability for deployment in a variety of environments. Update the SMB configuration to use a different user account.

ChrisRM

Dabbler
Ah, no, missed that one, and yes, the 'root' user was there. So, trying to change the user makes no change; do I need to redo the ACLs or does TrueNAS sort that out?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
do I need to redo the ACLs or does TrueNAS sort that out?
I would expect that you need to re-do them according to the new user you're replacing root with.

ChrisRM

Dabbler
Thrashed about trying to get the thing to behave, then decided to start a new share and copy everything over. New share made very simply, seems to work with all flavours of PC, will then try to kill off old share. One thing I have noticed is that old shares never actually die, they just stop being shared. How to get rid of the unused ones may take me a while...

Thanks to @sretalla for the help

5hiftyy

Cadet
I've got a similar issue; I can see the SMB share locations from my Network explorer, but when I attempt to connect or map the shared drive I get a reply that states: "You do not have permission to access \\freenas\PLEX. Contact your network administrator to request access."

I've already added a new user (I was using root for SMB access in 11.3) and given them the requisite permissions, though I still cannot map the SMB share. I started with an 11.3 U5 => 12.0 upgrade, when it broke the first time, and now I'm on a second clean install of 12.0 with no luck. I've tried changing settings in Windows 10 1903 that allow unsecure guest logons etc, but still no luck. My PLEX plugin can still access the dataset though. I just can't access any of my files via Windows File Explorer, or any other file explorer.

If you thought back, is there anything that stood out in terms of "flick this switch and it worked again?" I've been a week at this already, I'm running out of energy to deal with it.

HannesM

Dabbler
I've also one share that is from Windows Clients no longer visible, acccessable/usable. The NAS called "incorrect cedentials". actualy i had to move an existing share to a new destination with new credentials to get the issue fixed.

ChrisRM

Dabbler
If you thought back, is there anything that stood out in terms of "flick this switch and it worked again?" I've been a week at this already, I'm running out of energy to deal with it.
If only... I have five shares on my NAS and only one showed this aberrant behaviour, the others simply updated as needed. I could find absolutely no way to get the thing to behave, other than by starting afresh with a new share, following the instructions, and then moving the data across.