Upgrade from 9.10 to 11 - jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I most likely will be waiting for 11.1 which seems like it will complete the final transition to the jail setup that FreeNAS will use going forward.

I don't know how far this is off though and I'm a bit anxious to get the many "under the hood" improvements that FN 11 offers sooner rather than later. So my question is for anyone that has upgraded to share their experience. Did you just have to rebuild your jails and if so was it difficult? Can it all be done via GUI with the current version of FN?

I don't have a great number of jails (just plex and plexpy) and they are not overly complex, FYI.

I appreciate anyone sharing their upgrade experiences.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well they are working on a migration script for migrating Warden based jails to iocage in 11.1. The bigger question is will it migrate older jails or just newer 11 based jails.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks for the information, didn't know about the script development. That is a pretty big question to ask.

I have no problem rebuilding my jails, as I have few and they are simple, but what I don't want to do is rebuild them twice.

I know release schedules are super malleable and only give rough estimates, but is 11.1 due this year?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

ThreeDee

Guru
I just did the upgrade from 9.10 u5 to 11.0. I just run Plex and it is still working great, but in the plugin gui under "installed", it shows it installed and says that it's off even though its up and working just fine. When I click on it to "turn it on" (even though it is on) .. it doesn't change .. rebooting, it doesn't change.. Come 11.1, I'll redo my jails if the update doesn't automagically correct it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I just did the upgrade from 9.10 u5 to 11.0. I just run Plex and it is still working great, but in the plugin gui under "installed", it shows it installed and says that it's off even though its up and working just fine. When I click on it to "turn it on" (even though it is on) .. it doesn't change .. rebooting, it doesn't change.. Come 11.1, I'll redo my jails if the update doesn't automagically correct it.
Thanks for sharing! This is the type of information I was looking for. I have installed all of my software within the jails via CLI so I don't know how that would differ. I always found the plugin interface in 9.3 buggy and never went back to it or gave it another shot in 9.10.

diedrichg

Wizard
Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org

D-Tijori

Dabbler
Went from 9.10.2 U3 > FN 11.0 Release and so far so good. Have Plex, Transmission, and OwnCloud Jails which transitioned over well. I had to delete & rebuild transmission due to some random error it was throwing in the console. Once rebuilt though, have not seen any other problems until now.

On the other hand, the VM feature is working very well and without any major stumble until now. Will be sticking to FN11 after monitoring its performance for couple of weeks.

ThreeDee

Guru
bug reported

chrisada

Explorer
I went from 9.10.2 to 11.0 and my applications work fine, both that are plugins and standard jails.

I can upgrade my Plex sever in standard jail using pkg upgrade. I think you will not be able to upgrade the plugins, but they will continue to work.

The plugins are not latest, but fairly recent. Unless you have real needs to be on the latest version of some of those plugins,. I think upgrading to 11.0 is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.