Upgrading from 9.10 to 11.1 - Will jails be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mael-

Dabbler
I'm getting ready to upgrade from FreeNAS-9.10.2-U4 to 11.1 via the GUI and wanted to see if I should expect any problems with my jails. I seem to remember people reporting problems with their jails after upgrading to 11.0 and wanted to see if there are still problems. Ideally, I would like to avoid recreating my jails. I've read through the upgrade instructions and didn't see any warnings or caveats regarding jails. Here's my current setup:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Memory: 64GB
Encryption: None
Jails/Plugins: Emby, s3cmd, SABnzbd - IP addresses are all static
Directory Services: FreeNAS is integrated into my Active Directory domain

Any problems I should be aware of regarding jails and upgrading to 11.1?

m0nkey_

MVP
Jails will continue to function, however you will be unable to update them. If you want the latest, you will need to re-create your jail root.

When FreeNAS does the move from warden to iocage (likely by FreeNAS 11.2), it'll should possible to update the jails without having to recreate them.

-Mael-

Dabbler
Jails will continue to function, however you will be unable to update them. If you want the latest, you will need to re-create your jail root.

When FreeNAS does the move from warden to iocage (likely by FreeNAS 11.2), it'll should possible to update the jails without having to recreate them.

Thanks for the quick response. Apologies in advance if these are stupid questions...

When you say that I'll be unable to upgrade the jails, does that mean the actual jail itself or the plugin, or both?
Will I be able to create new jails if I don't re-create the jail root?
It sounds like if I upgrade to 11.1 now and 11.2 incorporates iocage, that the inability to upgrade the jails will be temporary. Is this right?

m0nkey_

MVP
When you say that I'll be unable to upgrade the jails, does that mean the actual jail itself or the plugin, or both?
You'll be unable to upgrade the jails. It's also likely plugins will fail to update if they are using an old jail template.
Will I be able to create new jails if I don't re-create the jail root?
Yes, you can continue to create Jails. It should pull down the latest template.
It sounds like if I upgrade to 11.1 now and 11.2 incorporates iocage, that the inability to upgrade the jails will be temporary. Is this right?
Honestly, I don't know. What I do understand is there will be a migration script from warden to iocage, so maybe you could update it after the migration has taken place.

-Mael-

Dabbler
I've been doing a bit of searching and can't seem to find a clear set of instruction on how to re-create the jail root and migrating or recreating jails after upgrading to 11.1. Can anyone point me to a good how-to post?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
In the past after you upgrade the base system you create a new jail and it downloads the new jail template. Your old jails still live and function along side the new ones. You re create everything in the new jail copying over any configurations or files needed and then nuke the old jail.

At least that's how it has worked for me for 2 major version upgrades in the past.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You'll be unable to upgrade the jails.
Unless you mean something different than I'm understanding, I'd have to disagree. I have several jails on my FN11 server that were created under 9.10, and I routinely update them using pkg upgrade.
Yes, you can continue to create Jails.
Again, I'd have to disagree--once I upgraded to FN11, I've been unable to create new jails.

m0nkey_

MVP
Unless you mean something different than I'm understanding, I'd have to disagree.
Meaning freebsd-update. It should be possible to still update packages.
once I upgraded to FN11, I've been unable to create new jails.
Odd, from my tests it was possible to create a new jail but FreeNAS would first download a new template renaming the old one.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
once I upgraded to FN11, I've been unable to create new jails.
That's a different behavior than what I've experienced in the past when I've upgraded but I'm still on 9.10. What error do you get when you try to create a new jail?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What error do you get when you try to create a new jail?
I didn't remember, so I tried again. And the system downloaded the 11.0 template and completed creating the jail without issue. Strange--I know I'd gotten an error before, but it seems to work now.

raidflex

Guru
So what is the consensus on 11.1 and iocage support. I thought that iocage was supposed to be fully functional in the new UI, or is this not correct? I would like to move all my jails to iocage when 11.1 hits release, but I do not want to do this again for 11.2. I understand I would need to recreate all jails, since there is no migration script yet.

raidflex

Guru
So is IOCAGE fully functional in 11.1???

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TAC

Contributor
Is my understanding correct on upgrading from FN 9.10 to 11.2?

1) Upgrading from 9.10 to 11.x is pretty much a no-brainer (famous last words). Only issue would be with Jails. The jails/applications would run just fine, but can not be updated (jails or applications).

2) If I wait for 11.2 all my 9.10 jails will be converted to iocage after I run 'the migration script'. After which my apps will update correctly.

Looks like 11.2-BETA1 will be out around the end of this month (June 2018).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
1) Upgrading from 9.10 to 11.x is pretty much a no-brainer (famous last words). Only issue would be with Jails. The jails/applications would run just fine, but can not be updated (jails or applications).
Correct.
2) If I wait for 11.2 all my 9.10 jails will be converted to iocage after I run 'the migration script'. After which my apps will update correctly.
If the migration script works as planned that should be the case. No will be able to answer that definitively until 11.2 lands and people actually get a chance to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.