Upgrade from 11.3 to 12.0 fails to boot

ChiknNutz

Patron
System was working good, except had some issues with Radarr and thought it might be a good time to move to 12 since 11.3 has sunset. Well now I cannot boot to anything, system says it cannot find a drive to load from...at all. So now I cannot boot up FreeNAS/TrueNAS at all. I don't mess with it much and I've honestly forgotten how to roll back to 11.3 since I can't boot up at all. Do I just load up a fresh 11.3 and go? BTW, I am still using two (2) USB sticks...is that part of the issue? I do see it is recommended to use an SSD boot drive, but it also says you CAN use flash drives. I figured I would move to an SSD, just hadn't done so yet.

NugentS

MVP
What do you see on the monitor when you boot?

ChiknNutz

Patron
The last few lines are:

Setting currdev to disk1p1:
Failed to find bootable partition
Failed to start image provided by ZFS

Here is a pic of the screen.

1686945706399.png

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Post your hardware as per forum rules please

duderuud

Dabbler

ChiknNutz

Patron
Either way, I am replacing the USB drives with a single SSD. Had to add a PCI-E adapter card for the SSD as well. So wondering how I should tackle the OS installation...whether I should use 11.3 or 12.0? I was using 11.3 and then did the GUI update for 12.0, but that is where everything failed. So not sure if starting with 11.3 is the way I should go or if it already is now 12.0 even though it failed to boot to 12.0.

ChiknNutz

Patron
To put a bow on this, I am conveying what finally worked here. As it turns out, my motherboard does not support booting from a NVM drive, so the PCIe card was of no use (although I was able to put FreeNAS 11.3 on there via the SSD on the PCIe card). I got on with Supermicro support and they too confirmed it is too old to support this type of boot device. I then placed the SSD into a USB enclosure and it now boots up just fine. Still doesn't explain why it failed to boot from either of the mirrored USB drives. I then upgraded to TrueNAS 12 and then 13 with no update issues. However, after updating my older jails to the newest versions, I cannot get my previously working Radarr or Sonarr to work at all, but that is another support request.