Difficulty reverting back to 11.3 after goomg to truenas beta

johny3

Dabbler
Hi all
So j am using an old enterprise hp system. I was running 11.3 well mostly just using for smb shares to start and expanding uses over time. I decided to try out the beta but my smb share never made it over so I tried going back to 11.3. After reading up online I figured setting up 11.3 on a new flash drive,b booting and then loading my config should work.
That is not working.
I was able to create a new bootable 11.3 usb and boot into freenas on the system but I end up getting an error. It sits at trying to mount root from zfs: freenas-boot/root/default []...
I went to mow and ended up with this error.
20200712_162633.jpg

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thank you

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
It mounted, and needs networking to set the system time. Hit Enter to bring up the 11.3 console menu.

johny3

Dabbler
My apologies I'm new to working in console. Anyway, I got to the menu after getting the network connected. The ip is correct but when I try to access thru the ip it "took too long to repond"
I have the menu up, going to read the wiki

johny3

Dabbler
ok I am in and could get in thru the web gui. I think it wanted the internet cord in the other ethernet port :)

uploading the saved config let's hope it works!

johny3

Dabbler
ok
so I am getting that sometimes reported error/issue where the web gui is not immediately accessible after boot.
but that aside, when I go to my pools my pool for my jails and my main pool both say "unknown" and when I go to status it is empty.

Do I need to reimport the pools?
If I go to disks there are there and are "unused"

I go to import pool but there is nothing listed. I assume this is because I did not export the pool.
Is there a guide somewhere to do this (Sorry I googled)

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

when I go to my pools my pool for my jails and my main pool both say "unknown" and when I go to status it is empty.

Did you upgrade ZFS features or version in TrueNAS beta? That's non-reversible.

Yorick

Wizard
Feature Flags are definitely a thing. See https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/zfs-feature-flags-in-freenas.95/ . If you updated the pool, it is now read-only in FreeNAS (any version), and can only be really used in TrueNAS Core 12.0 or later, or any other system that supports the OpenZFS 2.0 feature flags.

Also, do you still have the boot media that you updated from 11.3? You could just go back to 11.3 using System->Boot, or during initial bootup, instead of reinstalling and restoring config. Which will also work, don't get me wrong, it's just more effort than maybe strictly needed.

johny3

Dabbler
All I had done was upgrade to truenas beta via the upgrade mechanism. It appears that when I did this the data base failed to migrate. I did not do anything special to the pools. basically I updated to beta and then worked for a few days and then looked at smb share and could not start the service.

I guess the most important question right now would be, is there a way to get at the data? I have just a handful of pictures on there that were not backed up (I did not realize my son put some on when I went to upgrade). He would prefer I get to those :)
Again I apoligize as am relatively new to all of this including freedsb commands :)
I have:
the original boot usb stick that has the upgrade to truenas
a new boot usb that has freenas installed on it.

my system of course.
I can certainly boot back into truenas and see where I am at if it helps figure out how to get at those few files. I am happy to rebuild the pools and reback up the data, set up smb share. That is all I had really done so far anywhere. I have been working a lot in the hospital so just doing all of this slowly )
ty again. I can post specs of my maching if that helps

Samuel Tai

Try the original boot drive, and hit the space bar when the boot menu comes up. You should then be able to select your original 11.3 boot environment.

johny3

Dabbler
Try the original boot drive, and hit the space bar when the boot menu comes up. You should then be able to select your original 11.3 boot environment.

here is what the pools look like booting from the freenas on the new boot stick, just for clarity (not from what you suggested I do)

Attachments

• pools.jpg
    pools.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 210

johny3

Dabbler
using the old boot stick that was upgaded to truenas, I do not have an option for freenas.
When I am presented with the options and pick the boot options, it looks like this only with the two truenas options
1 back to main menu
2. active zfs: freenas-boot/root/freenas-12.0-beta
3 bootfs: same thing as 2

of note I did not hit space bar to get to above.
hitting space bar brought me to this "boot: " and I did not know what to do. The above was seen when the machine booted into the menu.
Do I need to hit that spacebar to get the "boot" but what do I type?

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
Choose 2 active, and then from there the boot environment for 11.3

johny3

Dabbler
Choose 2 active, and then from there the boot environment for 11.3
choosing 2. active (text changes to freedsb freenas)
then hit back then boot

booted into freenas and I logged in with a new password
Ok now I need to load the old config right?
just verifying :)

Samuel Tai

No, keep cycling through 2. The first selection was probably the Initial Install boot environment. You want the next one, default, which contains your 11.3 boot environment just before the upgrade, with the configuration intact.

johny3

Dabbler
No, keep cycling through 2. The first selection was probably the Initial Install boot environment. You want the next one, default, which contains your 11.3 boot environment just before the upgrade, with the configuration intact.
I have access, you are the best. thank you so much. Is there a way to make this one the default boot? Then I can just work from this from now on?
thank you so much!

Samuel Tai

Yes, look under System->Boot. This will list all the boot environments. Make sure your 11.3 environment is flagged as "Reboot". You may want to delete the 12 boot environment, to prevent it from ever becoming active again.

johny3

Dabbler
ok
Looks like we have:
default - active (now)
initial install
freenas 12 beta

if you look it appears that I can do this:
delete the initial install
for the default (active) - i assume this is the one I am using now since it is active - I can chose to keep it.
for the freenas 12 beta - I cannot delete but under keep it says no.

Attachments

• freenasbooter.JPG
    freenasbooter.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 197

Samuel Tai

Yes, click the 3 dots next to your default, and set it to be active at the next reboot. Then you'll be able to delete the 12 beta environment.