Upgrade 9.10 to 11.3-STABLE - UI does not load

ppumkin

Dabbler
I upgraded a remote box that was on 9.2 to 9.10 - saw 9.x is in maintenance mode, so...
Any way I have other boxes running 11.x and was all good so I decided to upgrade this remote box to 11.3 .. STABLE - right?

Error:
Connecting to FreeNAS ... Make sure the FreeNAS system is powered on and connected to the network..

I had a search on the forums here and this issue was reported in 11.2 like some thread was going on for a while and ended in December 2018 so not sure why this happening in 11.3-STABLE?

I tried all sorts of things suggests as I outline below. Does any body have a work around, please?!

I first thought it was because I was initially on Server 2012 and I don't think that supports web sockets.. or maybe some restrictive policy, so I RDP onto a Win10 machine and the same issue. Getting hundred of web sockets errors 502 like in the tens of other threads found here from 2018, early 2019ish for 11.2-BETA

I cleared browser caches, I disabled internet security scanners, incognito mode, /IP/legacy takes me back to the non legacy URL, and the IP/legacy?

Interestingly on the /legacy/account/login?/next=/legacy/ I get stack trace

Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.1.100/legacy/account/login?/next=/legacy/
Software Version: FreeNAS-11.3-U1 (34d6357440)
Exception Type: OperationalError
Exception Value: no such column: system_settings.stg_crash_reporting
no such column: system_settings.stg_crash_reporting
Exception Location: ./freenasUI/freeadmin/sqlite3_ha/base.py in execute, line 381
Server time: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 08:56:31 +0000

Which points to a sqlite database problem?? is it valid?

What makes it worse is that SMB, or my iSCSCI does NOT work! And SSH root login does not work either and this is a remote box so I basically f****d my life now.

Have to take a day off and go there now. You do these things so often and it just works and then the least expected time and worst case scenario it bites you. That is my fault I am an idiot.. should have known better.

Last edited:

ppumkin

Dabbler
IP address is static assigned tis been x.x.x.100 for years - Just incase people think its that wierd IP address issue on the interface or something but I seriously doubt it

1583399197488.png

1583399847518.png

Last edited:
I did exactly the same this morning - though i was on 9.10 Nightlies.
Connecting via Windows 10 PC using Chome and Edge but both the same.
I went to 11.3 stable and couldn't login anymore.
Putty SSH wouldn't let me in either, not accepting the password.
On a console screen there was so much going on i couldn't get in to do anything at all.
My NFS wasn't present any more.
Rebooted and went back to 9.10 Nightlies where it was.
Hopefully we can get this resolved

ppumkin

Dabbler
Yea.. I am getting ready for nice road trip now..
Looks like I will just leave that box on 9.10 for another 5 years now.

I have done a fresh install on a new USB to try that.
It won't import my saved configuration as it says the database is not valid!
I have been able to setup afresh though as my config wasn't very complex - just a windows share and plex which is just about right now but Plex won't install - fails at 50% - so not sure whether to try the Beta one?
But i am up and running on 11.3 Stable with no updates currently available so that is something.
#edit - it did let me import my volume so i didn't loose any data

Last edited:

tzahi12345

Cadet
Can confirm I'm having the same issue. Will probably do a fresh install and hope my volumes import :/

tzahi12345

Cadet
For anyone reading this in the future, I was able to fix the issue by going to the latest 11.2 build, then updating to 11.3.

So I went from 9.10->11.2->11.3. Error is gone!

I couldn't SSH either, I resolved that by just hooking up a keyboard to the computer which I thankfully have access to, and selecting the initial install to revert back to the original state and work my way up from there.