Upgrade 8.3 + config backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lraymond

Dabbler
ok, I was just thrown into this so I will start my reading on how it works as I am familiar with linux, NFS, etc. but FreeNAS is 100%. Basically there are (2) FreeNas servers in place, 1 in produciton, 1 was supposed to be setup.

1 is running 8.3 (so I guess I should update), but the other gets the password prompt via GUI, and after authentication I get an unhanded exception. I did look and confirm it's booted via USB, and the 2nd server has no USB (was taken out!)

So, I must keep the 1st server running, and it has (4) disks all in use, so I guess the USB boot is the only option. So now that all of that is spelled out, my questions are in order of importance;

1. I need to get the 2nd server running. Nothing is on it that's needed, but the disks/export were already setup. So can I get the config off the running server USB and simply get that backed up, get a new USB bootable and just run with it, or do I need to re-setup all the exports, etc.

2. Non USB. If there are 4 disks raided, setup, etc. I dont think there is a way on the new one to carve out a piece of 1 disk and boot off that. Booting off a dangling USB in a datacenter does not seem to be the ideal solution. There are only 4 bay's and there loaded with 2T disks in each.

3. Upgrade. The current running 8.3, I see 9.x is out. Is there a way (or a reason) to upgrade to the newer version that will both upgrade, and upgrade the USB so on reboot the new version will be up to date.

Thanks.. Looks like a great product and looking forward to diving in.

danb35

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS is intended to be booted from a USB flash drive, CompactFlash card, or other ~ 2 GB flash device. You can install the OS onto a spinning disk, but it will occupy the whole thing.

If you don't care about the data or shares on the second server, just download the FreeNAS ISO, burn it to a CD, and use that to install onto a USB flash drive. Once that boots from the USB drive, you'll be able to set up the disks and shares however you want.

lraymond

Dabbler
Perfect, thanks... quick and easy.

Only other question is if the USB fails (on the production one). How/where is the disk config's stored? Meaning if I just pop in a new 8.3 or even a 9.x, does it start, scan (I would company to an mdadm.conf file) and say, oh, let me mount/share these? Since it's all off the USB, is there a backup config or something I guess is my last real question for now.

Thanks

gpsguy

The configuration file freenas-v1.db is stored on the 4th partition of the boot device, ie. /data (when mounted).

While one backup and restore it via the webgui you might want to use cron job to back it up. If you need to use it - use the webgui to restore it.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.