Updating Plex on 11.2 from 10.3 Release

Redcoat

MVP
I have tried to update my Plex jail today. This was originally a warden jail from "years back" and converted to an iocage jail. It's presently showing to be on 10.3.

index.php

I followed the update instructions and selected the latest release, but the update failed.
I tried again with a couple more releases "just for fun": 10.4 and 11.1. Both attempts also failed.

Error messages in all cases were identical - see below.

Code:
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 175, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 128, in main_worker
res = loop.run_until_complete(coro)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/base_events.py", line 468, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 88, in _run
return await self._call(f'{service_name}.{method}', serviceobj, methodobj, params=args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 81, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 81, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 668, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/jail.py", line 773, in upgrade
IOCUpgrade(conf, release, root_path).upgrade_jail()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage_lib/ioc_upgrade.py", line 116, in upgrade_jail
raise RuntimeError("Error occured, jail not upgraded!")
RuntimeError: Error occured, jail not upgraded!
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 332, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 356, in __run_body
rv = await self.middleware._call_worker(self.serviceobj, self.method_name, *self.args, job={'id': self.id})
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1073, in _call_worker
job,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1004, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 989, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
RuntimeError: Error occured, jail not upgraded!

Any ideas?

D

dlavigne

Did you get the error using the UI or the CLI to upgrade the jail?

Redcoat

MVP
The (new) UI.

Redcoat

MVP
Ahh.. thanks Dru. Mine is not a plug in, it's a standard jail. I'll try that syntax and report.

Redcoat

MVP
Thanks, @dlavigne. It worked. I found the process "a bit daunting" - obtuse prompts and long pauses - but it "took" the 4th or 5th time through once I knew what to expect. Plex is now on 11.2-RELEASE-p9.
Should I consider upgrading my other jails to bring them onto the same release now? What's the driver to do so (I'm not a "latest-version" obsessive...).

D

dlavigne

That's really your call, balancing the use case of each jail between "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and being able to take advantage of the latest features/security patches.

Redcoat

MVP

Kevo

Dabbler
There's an open bug for updating plugins/jails from the UI. It should work from the CLI though: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/attachments/52636/Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 1.06.58 PM.png.

Is there still a bug open on this issue with the update failing in the GUI. I updated to 11.3 recently and was trying to update my jails to the 11.2 release and got the exact error code shown in the OP. I ended up updating the release of the jails from the command line, but according to what I found in redmine I got the impression this bug was fixed in 11.3?