Updating 9.3-Stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqartimus

Explorer
Hello all! I have been getting mail to update my 9.3 ... how cool is that :)

So, I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011, and have gone to the system updates ... did 'check now' which downloaded 2 things ... one I think was the documentation ...

Anyhow, all seems to have gone well, but here is my question:

When I look at the "boot" sup-panel, it shows the newly updated (today's date) system as "default", but it shows the old system as "on Reboot, Now".

Do I need to reboot to make the 'default' active. Or do I need to 'activate' the new one and reboot?

I see in the documentation that those are options that I can do ... but specifically, am I right that the newly updated system was named 'default' and that I need to 'activate' it then reboot?

D

dlavigne

Correct. At this time, rebootless updates aren't complete (meaning you still need to reboot after every update).

eqartimus

Explorer
A follow-up question:
I went ahead and 'activate'd the 'new' boot environment -- and it says: "On Reboot" now. So I think that's good thing.

So question: what is best practice for naming, activating, rebooting these things? Seems like 'default' isn't terribly meaningful going forward as a name. And, when I do the next update, would I then have 2 named 'default' if I don't change the name of this one?

D

dlavigne

Post a screenshot of what you are seeing. Each update's name should indicate its date. Default should be a clone of the default installation (from the date of initial installation).

eqartimus

Explorer

eqartimus

Explorer
It does have a date. Though, as I said before "default" as a name seems to be uninformative ... why not have the version number? Or did I do something wrong?

D

dlavigne

Interesting. I know there were some recent changes to fix boot environment naming. Does the screenshot change after the reboot?

eqartimus

Explorer
Dunno, haven't done it yet. But hang on, and I will.

eqartimus

Explorer
Nope, I am currently running: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011 .. and boot says: default. Weird, it went through an 'update' but nothing seems to have happened.

No pending updates on update screen, yet if I press the 'Check Now' button, it informs me that these will be downloaded:

Upgrade: freenas-pkg-tools-9.3.1-STABLE-1becabb -> freenas-pkg-tools-9.3.1-STABLE-dc4105f
Upgrade: docs-9.3.1-STABLE-1becabb -> docs-9.3.1-STABLE-7eaae83

Which is what I thought happened the first time. ???

eqartimus

Explorer
Today I got an email telling me that there were updates again :( And when I tried to install I got errors.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Status
Not open for further replies.