SOLVED Updated 9.3 immediately lost use of dns service

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Explorer
I tried the online update of version 9.3 and updated to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412301712.

But now, when I check the online update, it errors saying unable to load http://update.freenas.org/FreeNAS/trains.txt

Also, the train is no longer shown in the GUI. I tried to ping google.com from the commandline and it wasn't able to resolve the google.com name.

I read this note in the documentation http://sphinx.freenas.org/freenas_network.html and added the ip address of the freeNAS server to the host name database field in Network-->Global Config.

That let me ping google.com in command line mode, but the other things still didn't work. Then I tried deleting the ipv4 default gateway to no avail. Then I deleted the ip from the host name database field, and re-added the default gateway ip of the router. It seems to be working again now.

I had the same problem after upgrading a backup FreeNAS server yesterday. Anyone else having these kinds of problems?

hunter

Explorer
Thanks for the link danb35. I read through it, couldn't see a solution, and wound up rolling back to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-20141210xxx Sure is a nice feature to be able to do that now! I surmise the version I tried is still not ready for prime time :)

hunter

Explorer
It looks like it could be. Thanks for the reference. I get the "name server" followed by ip of my router in resolv.conf with the 1210 version of 9.3, not sure what I would have got with the newer 1230 version but I have several servers set up this way (with DHCP on the router) and none of them have trouble getting getting name resolution.

Knowltey

Patron
Do you have a default gateway and DNS server listed in your network settings? When I did an update recently I experienced the same symptoms you were encountering (noticed because it was bringing up errors about being unable to update NTP, but the train and update check failed and I couldn't pin google via the console.) but putting those in solved it for me. I then confirmed the resolution by removing them again, fail, put back in, success. Then I booted from the old version, was fine in either configuration. Updated again and the need for those fields to be filled returned.

hunter

Explorer
My default settings defined a gateway but not a DNS server. I was able to downgrade then upgrade again to a version of 9.3 dated 12/31. That one works just fine.

hunter

Explorer
Thanks for trying to help. This turned out to be a bug the freenas developers fixed just hours after I upgraded...

Knowltey

Patron
Ah, it in the most recent update now?

hunter

Explorer
Yes, if you read the notes for the latest upgrade you'll see it. It says something like fixed for real this time, bug 8335 I think...

J

jkh

Yep, this also only happened if you didn't have an interface configured explicitly. If you did, this problem would also not appear.

Knowltey

Patron
[strike]Hmm, I updated to the most recent update but it'll still fail pinging google if the settings get removed. [/strike]

Never mind, DNS seems to be removeable, just not default gateway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.