Update plex in a jail when pkg update fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags22

Explorer
I have plex installed in a jail instead of using the plugin. My problem is that I'm still running 1.3.3.x. I've downloaded and unpacked 1.12.3.x, but I'm not sure how to install it and don't want to risk breaking the existing installation.

The new installation is in the plexmedia jail under /tmp/pkgname.

Any assistance is welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks,
Wags

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, depending on how you originally installed it, it should be a simple matter of "pkg upgrade" (if you used pkg), or using something like portmaster if you used ports.

How did you originally install it?

wags22

Explorer
I used pkg update/upgrade and install.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is this in a warden jail?

wags22

Explorer
I don't understand your question Jailer. I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6, plex was installed following a guide. In trying to find the guide, I found this thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-media-server-not-updating.54565/ My original plex installation was under 9.3 (possible 9.2). Will I need to create a new plex jail to facilitate the upgrade? If so, know of any documentation I can follow?
Thanks

eldo

Explorer
Wags22,

If you created the jail in 9.3 using the web interface you've got a warden jail.
The main issue i'm aware with on the warden jails is that it has been EOL'd and will no longer get any updates. Meaning if the new plex install has other requirements ports and pkg won't be able to manage those for you.

Why don't you just make a snapshot of your jail as it exists now and attempt the update? If it doesn't work you should be able to easily roll back.

In FN11+ (maybe in your version, idk) you can make iocage jails which will be the supported jails from FN11.2 on.
If you want to make an iocage jail (which I understand will be able to be updated to new releases and hopefully not get hit with the EOL issue), this is a good writeup: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

it's more complex than just plex, but you can cherry pick...

wags22

Explorer
After some more research, I decided the best option was to create a new jail and transfer the "profile" over.
The two "problems" I'm having, one I think is normal, just want to confirm, the other I don't know what is going on.
I'm having to re-add my libraries (I have my movies in separate directories by category, keeps the kids from accidentally watching something they shouldn't.) I think this is normal.
The not normal: I can't access the web GUI locally but can get to it via the plex.tv login. It shows that my access is "indirect". Looking for any thoughts on where to begin to troubleshoot this. Normally I'd start with IP, but I shouldn't be able to login at all if an ip conflict was occurring and I've confirmed at the command line that other IP's have been modified.
One last question: I want to delete the old installations of plexmediaserver. How do I do it for the jail? Are there steps I should take to insure no data is deleted?
Thanks,
Wags

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I can't access the web GUI locally but can get to it via the plex.tv login. It shows that my access is "indirect". Looking for any thoughts on where to begin to troubleshoot this.
Log in to the web interface and add your local network to the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" setting then save the change and try again from your local IP. It should be the same address as your default gateway address listed in your FreeNAS GUI.
One last question: I want to delete the old installations of plexmediaserver. How do I do it for the jail?
From the jails menu in the GUI. There should be a trash can icon at the bottom of the page if you click on the jail in question.

eldo

Explorer
Log in to the web interface and add your local network to the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" setting then save the change and try again from your local IP. It should be the same address as your default gateway address listed in your FreeNAS GUI.

Alternatively, in the cd /usr/local/plexdata[-plexpass (if you're using plexpass)]/Plex\ Media\ Server/Preferences.xml file:
you can add this, with your IP range/subnet mask: allowedNetworks="192.168.0.0/24"

After some more research, I decided the best option was to create a new jail and transfer the "profile" over.
The two "problems" I'm having, one I think is normal, just want to confirm, the other I don't know what is going on.
I'm having to re-add my libraries (I have my movies in separate directories by category, keeps the kids from accidentally watching something they shouldn't.) I think this is normal.

When I moved my plex install to a new jail, I did the following and it kept my metadata and all settings except shared libraries (because it's a new not upgraded server)
reference: https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Moving-a-Database-from-one-Server-to-another

First, get the new plex server set up and configured with no libraries, etc.
log in with your plex.tv account and make sure you have access, then log out of your plex.tv account on the new install, and stop the plex service. if you don't stop the service it will not work correctly.

While the plex service is stopped, you move your old plexdata directory over to the new plexdata directory. When you start the server again, you should have almost all of your settings from the old server, including library locations, watched statuses, etc. I took the time to make sure the paths of my libraries were the same from install to install, and it was seamless.

to move the plexdata directory I mounted my old plexdata directory from the old jail to the new jail using 'iocage fstab -a'
then I 'iocage console PLEX', cd to the old plexdata directory, and do the following:
Code:
cd /usr/local/plexdata-old/Plex\ Media\ Server
tar --exclude='./Cache' -cvf - ./* | ( cd ../../plexdata[-plexpass]/Plex\ Media\ Server/ ; tar xfp - )

edit to add:
when I did this, I moved from a plex install to a plexpass install and did not run into any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.