Update has broken SMB connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamfish

Cadet
After updating to the latest FreeNAS-11.1-U6 my SMB sharing (especially with Kodi) has been broken. I have tried all of the suggested fixes such as: resetting passwords, adding private dir = /var/db/samba4/private to the SMB aux parameters, and resetting permissions recursively. Nothing has made any difference.

I watched the suggested SMB permissions video and everything seems to be set properly, but still SMB will not work after the update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there another current fix that I am missing?

AVSION

Contributor

Spamfish

Cadet
Your post assumes running Kodi in Windows or Mac...I am doing neither. I am running a Ubuntu based version by Openelec. Unfortunately your workaround doesn't help in my case. Thank you for trying though. Anyone else have a working fix?

melloa

Wizard
Your post assumes running Kodi in Windows or Mac...I am doing neither. I am running a Ubuntu based version by Openelec. Unfortunately your workaround doesn't help in my case. Thank you for trying though. Anyone else have a working fix?

Are you mounting the smb exports via fstab? Try forcing the version in your mount line. I had to do that for all SMBs running on ubuntu and CentOS after the U6 changes.

Something like:
Code:
//10.10.10.10/tvrecordings						  /mnt/media/tvrecordings cifs vers=2.1,user,uid=500,rw,suid,username=<your_user_name>,password=<your_password> 0 0

Spamfish

Cadet
Ok might need a little help doing that. I have attempted mounting the SMBs following the openelec guides and it throws no errors on mounting, but nothing will connect in openelec.

My fstab is empty. How would I go about manually entering it since fstab in openelec it is on a read-only file system?

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
I have attempted mounting the SMBs following the openelec guides

How?

My fstab is empty.

Another things you can try is, just for testing is:

- Change your smb security - again not safe: (service > smb > check NTLMv1 auth; stop/start SMB service) -> test your export, or
- Boot your FreeNAS with the previous image (system > boot > select U5 > activate > reboot) -> test your export.

Spamfish

Cadet
In answer to how: https://openelec.tv/documentation/configuration/mounting-os-level-network-shares
I altered the option information to force the version as you posted previously. However neither the new nor old way listed there worked.

Also the problem seems to be isolated to openelec only. Running Kodi through Win10 on the same box has absolutely no problem connecting to the share after some testing. Nothing in openelec has changed however...it just stopped working after the freenas update.

I will test the security and boot suggestions tonight though I am not certain they apply due to the above information.(?) Thank you for the help.

melloa

Wizard
Running Kodi through Win10 on the same box has absolutely no problem connecting to the share after some testing.

Interesting. I don't know openelec at all to try help further. One thing though ... on the page you linked above there is:

Code:
Only use this method if you absolutely need too. Kodi provides mounting network filesystems (nfs, smb, etc) natively and is the preferred method!
OS level mounts are only needed for saving PVR recordings to a network location or using a downloader (rtorrent, transmission, etc) to download to a network location.

In reference to mount CIFS. Further more, your Kodi is working, so maybe you can find out how your can MAP in Kodi and use that with openelec?

Hope some one else knows openelec and can help. I can't even read the site as they blocked me due to my add blocker and I'm not disabling it :D

Spamfish

Cadet
Fair enough. Thank you for the help you gave, hopefully someone else might be able to go further with openelec. I would try purely on their boards, but the oddity is that it was a freenas update the broke things...not an openelec or kodi update.

melloa

Wizard
Fair enough. Thank you for the help you gave, hopefully someone else might be able to go further with openelec. I would try purely on their boards, but the oddity is that it was a freenas update the broke things...not an openelec or kodi update.

I did have to change some of my clients after U6, same with 12.2 Beta on the Lab server. With my printer, for instance, I did have issues and decided to move it to another share on my linux, as I didn't have how to make changes on the printer's configuration.

You can always go back to the previous boot, by activating it from the boot option, but I'd talk with those openelec guys to see what can be done ... it works for Kodi, right? ;)

Spamfish

Cadet
As an update one this; I migrated my system over to libreELEC and that solved the problem. Seems openelec is not updating well.

George777

Dabbler
Are you mounting the smb exports via fstab? Try forcing the version in your mount line. I had to do that for all SMBs running on ubuntu and CentOS after the U6 changes.

Something like:
Code:
//10.10.10.10/tvrecordings						  /mnt/media/tvrecordings cifs vers=2.1,user,uid=500,rw,suid,username=<your_user_name>,password=<your_password> 0 0

Forcing the version fixed this issue for me too. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.