Update from 9.10-STABLE to 11.1-STABLE and a jail with Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

bra1n

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS 9.10-STABLE and was looking switching to the 11.1-STABLE train but I had a question about jails and I'm seeing conflicting info. I have one jail that I set up manually (no plugins) and installed Plex on. I manually update the jail contents periodically and everything works well. If I update to 11.1 I see that the existing jail should remain and continue functioning, though it will contain an older version of BSD.

If the future of FreeNAS is Docker instead of jails, is it worth upgrading to 11.1 now and working to get Plex running under Docker or should I wait until a later version of FreeNAS when Docker support is more fully worked out? I have no experience using Docker so I'd be working from online guides and feeling my way through to get things working.

I'm not all that concerned with getting under the hood and getting this work, I just want to make sure I'm only going to have to do it once.

TIA!

bra1n

Dabbler
If you wait for the 11.2 release, there will be functionality to convert old warden jails to iocage. In the mean time should you chose to upgrade, Plex will continue to work.

So if I upgrade to 11.1 now it would still be a warden jail? If I then upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2 when it comes out would that upgrade migrate the jail from warden to iocage at that time?

millst

Contributor
Yes. No, pretty sure it's a script and must be performed manually.

-tm

bra1n

Dabbler
OK, so after going 9.10->11.1->11.2 (once 11.2 is released) I'd just work with that script to port the existing jail from warden to iocage?

bra1n

Dabbler
Also will the script ultimately update the jail to the same version of BSD as the host system?

millst

Contributor
Something like that. I don't think anything is documented and I've never examined the actual script. I imagine that you'll create a new jail through the new GUI (thus iocage and latest BSD like host). Then, run the script to "sync" them.

It might not work [very well] in 11.2:
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/27236

-tm

bra1n

Dabbler
Something like that. I don't think anything is documented and I've never examined the actual script. I imagine that you'll create a new jail through the new GUI (thus iocage and latest BSD like host). Then, run the script to "sync" them.

It might not work [very well] in 11.2:
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/27236

-tm

Thanks for the info. It looks like from that bug that they are moving the target for that script from 11.2 to 11.3. It seems like it would be worth going to 11.1 now and then sort out the new jail once things stabilize.

millst

Contributor
Keeps sliding to the right, haha. Yeah, I went to 11.1, but I'm not touching my jails anytime soon.

-tm

bra1n

Dabbler
Yeah the upgrade to 11.1 went smoothly. I'll just be chilling out there until there is a migration strategy for jails that seems more likely to work than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.