Install Plex from PlexMediaServer-xxx-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2

Simon Lock

Dabbler
System: FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d)

I wonder someone would be so kind as to inform me how to manually install Plex Server within a Freenas FreeBSD jail; I know there are lots of tutorial describing how to install the Freenas Plugin, Install the Package (pkg) and also from Ports but I've tried all of these and updates to Plex are not made available quick enough.

I'd really like to know how to install plex using the file PlexMediaServer-xxx-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2 which is down loadable from the plex website and also subsequently updates as they are made available.

Perhaps once Docker is finally made available again in version 11.1 these delayed update will become less of a nuisance.

Thanks in advance.

Mlovelace

Guru
System: FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d)

I wonder someone would be so kind as to inform me how to manually install Plex Server within a Freenas FreeBSD jail; I know there are lots of tutorial describing how to install the Freenas Plugin, Install the Package (pkg) and also from Ports but I've tried all of these and updates to Plex are not made available quick enough.

I'd really like to know how to install plex using the file PlexMediaServer-xxx-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2 which is down loadable from the plex website and also subsequently updates as they are made available.

Perhaps once Docker is finally made available again in version 11.1 these delayed update will become less of a nuisance.

Thanks in advance.
Just follow the plex part of this post (it is located in the resources section of the forum). https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-radarr-jackett-and-transmission-with-vpn.58/

I understand your frustration with the plugin system, but just the smallest amount of searching on your part could have had you already underway with your plex install. ;)

Last edited:

scrappy

Patron
From what I gather about installing Plex manually from the tarball is that you still must upgrade manually with make deinstall clean && make reinstall clean after fetching the latest tarball download from the Plex site.

The easier way IMO is to create a standard jail (Not the Plex plugin) and have the latest packages available in your jail's FreeBSD repository. Edit: /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf to reflect the following:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
	url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

After running # pkg update you will receive the newest FreeBSD packages including Plex Media Server packages. From my experience, Plex versions are usually completely up to date, or will be up to date and available to upgrade from after a week or two. All you have to do now is enter:

# pkg install plexmediaserver
or:
# pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

To check for and run Plex media server updates, type: # pkg update && pkg upgrade -y. If there are any updates available they will be installed automatically. After any upgrade to your Plex Media Server package you must restart Plex media server service with the following for your upgrade to take affect:

# service plexmediaserver restart
or:
# service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart

I think this is the best and easiest way to install Plex and keep it up to date.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
updates to Plex are not made available quick enough
Are you serious? You can't wait a couple days for the repo to be updated? I've never had to wait more than a week for the package version to be updated.

scrappy

Patron
Are you serious? You can't wait a couple days for the repo to be updated? I've never had to wait more than a week for the package version to be updated.

That makes me wonder if OP is using the FreeNAS plugin for Plex. I personally don't use the Plex plugin and therefore haven't a clue how quickly they get updated vs standalone pkg install.

scrappy

Patron
I should also add that Plex transcoding performance is going to suffer somewhat when using Plex in a Docker container as the OP suggested once Docker becomes available. The benefit of running Plex from a jail is to have (practically speaking) native performance from your FreeNAS server. Docker on FreeNAS will have to run inside a Linux machine being virtualized by FreeNAS. Those extra layers will impact the performance of Plex to some degree.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
FYI, you can update your jail now it's available. One week from announcement to available package.

I'm sorry about resurrecting this, but it's the closest thing to what I'm trying to do. I want to install plexmediaserver in a standard jail. After pkg update && pkg upgrade, pkg install plexmediaserver fetches a version that is a full year old, 1.3.3.3148. I'm running 9.3 STABLE on a Xeon E3-1220. 1.10.1.4602 is available on the Plex site as a tarball and shows up on FreshPorts, but pkg always gets the old version. Does anyone know why?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Does anyone know why?
Because that's the last version supported by FreeBSD 9.3. Upgrade your server and redo your jails if you want something newer.

cadamwil

Explorer
Can someone answer the original question. I don't want a package, I'm happy with the bz2 file from Plex, I would just like to know how to install it in a jail. I have created my jail, I don't need help with that, just correctly unpacking and installing the bz2 file.

Adam

marcevan

Patron
cadamwil,

If you have the bz2 file from Plex, you downloaded it how? Windows PC? Do you have that windows PC enabled to look at your media on FreeNAS?

Short answer if that's yup, yup, is to copy the bz2 file to you Media folder and in the jail that presumably you created from the freenas gui, you need to add storage to link where you copied the file to somewhere in the jail where you setup storage. This is like the same exercise you'll go through to create local jail storage to link to your TV, Movies, etc you want in plex. So do that (temporarily) for the bz2 file so you can go to the jail then cp (copy) the file to the base jail root folder.

From there it's pretty basic to unpack it and that basically installs it pending your 2 more steps of:
1. Add it as a service into rc.conf
2. Start it

Then go to the GUI and bob's yer uncle.