Update 9.10 -> 11, now one jail cannot network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neek

Dabbler
I updated from 9.10.5 to 11 about a week ago. Everything seems to have gone smoothly, except that one of my jails (running crashplan, and based on an old pluginjail template) cannot network out to the FreeNAS host (nor anything else). In the FreeNAS GUI, I see that it is assigning an IP to that jail, but from within the jail's shell, I see the ethernet device in ifconfig but no assigned IP.

Is there something in a config somewhere that I can use to force the jail to grab an IP? I've tried looking for a jail.conf in the freenas host, or various IP configuration files in the jails, but I don't see anything different between this jail and the other 5 on this FreeNAS host (which happen to be based upon the "standard" template).

D

dlavigne

To verify: if you click the Edit button for that jail, it shows the IPv4 DHCP checkbox as checked?

If so, post the output of running ifconfig from the shell of that jail.

Neek

Dabbler
I normally don't use DHCP but I tried it both ways. ifconfig shows:

Code:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
	options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
	nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
epair0b: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=8<VLAN_MTU>
	ether 02:ff:70:00:06:0b
	nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
	media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)

This node is currently configured for a hardcoded 192.168.1.23 with gateway at 192.168.1.1

fracai

Guru
Have you tried shutting down the jail and bringing it back up?

Under 9.10.x I've seen similar behavior from time to time after a reboot. I haven't checked closely for the same symptoms you've described (IP, eth device, etc.), but the network failures sound the same. I was always able to resolve it by just restarting the individual jail.

Neek

Dabbler
Yes I've seen that too under 9.10 with a different jail, though in that case the jail had its up address but the host freenas wouldn't talk to it.

I've tried restarting this jail but that doesn't help.

What's the command to manually assign an IP address? I can hunt for that.

I've also looked at tha jail metadata in /mnt/vol1/jails/.jailname and this jail looks similar to others. I'm stumped.

Neek

Dabbler
The GUI does not fix the problem. I meant, "what's the shell commands", either from the host or from within the jail shell. I need to go quite a bit deeper than what the GUI exposes, I think.

I'm guessing it's related to the fact that this jail is based on a somewhat old template (probably originally from FreeNAS v9.2 or so), and some bit of networking didn't get updated properly.

D

dlavigne

In the jail shell, use ifconfig epair0b X.X.X.X netmask X.X.X.X (replacing with actual IP/mask and verifying epair name has not changed).

Neek

Dabbler
ok thanks. I tried that and I get an ioctl error, again pointing toward the jail having an outdated device driver or something similar:

Code:
root@nas-jail-crashplan:/ # ifconfig epair0b 192.168.1.23 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Invalid argument

Neek

Dabbler
Known bug, marked as will-not-fix by the FreeNAS dev team. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23826

So now I guess my question will be what might people recommend for a path forward? I can hack on this jail to make it work. I can recreate a new jail. I can create a vm image through bhyve though I've never used that before. I can create a docker container and run it on a Linux VM hosted on a separate host (though with the data on freenas it's far more efficient to run the backups to crashplan from that same host).

Suggestions welcome.

D

dlavigne

Why not just install a new jail and reinstall Crashplan into it? That will fix the ABI issue.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why not just install a new jail and reinstall Crashplan into it? That will fix the ABI issue.
Yep this is the easiest solution and should take a couple min.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Neek

Dabbler
Yep I can do that but thought this might be a good time to try one of the newer paths since it seems Docker or bhyve are the long term path forward.

Thanks all. I'll rebuild a new jail.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yep I can do that but thought this might be a good time to try one of the newer paths since it seems Docker or bhyve are the long term path forward.

Thanks all. I'll rebuild a new jail.
They are not the long term path forward. Why do people keep saying this? Do you have proof?

Neek

Dabbler
I'm not sure I understand the comment about having proof. Containers was a much-hyped feature in Corral, which was the path forward. Plugins are very poorly supported (brittle, some migration challenges with jails, etc.) so I guess I just assume that docker will fill the void that appears to me to exist today.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm not sure I understand the comment about having proof. Containers was a much-hyped feature in Corral, which was the path forward. Plugins are very poorly supported (brittle, some migration challenges with jails, etc.) so I guess I just assume that docker will fill the void that appears to me to exist today.
I want evidence of jails being unsupported or development being halted with them. Hint: there isn't any.

Containers were not hyped in corall it was just a new feature. In the Linux world docker is the hot new thing but it's not really as great as it seems. Docker had it's advantages but really it's going to be complicated and fragile than jails ever are. Using bhyve in freenas then docker inside that is going to have lots of drawbacks and issues.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
In @Neek defense, JKH hyped up Docker as the jails replacement for the build up to FreeNAS 10/Corral. It was pretty clear in his forum posts during Corral's development he was not a fan of jails and had no plans on continuing them. I for one am glad that has changed.

Neek

Dabbler
And the fact that I needed to deal with this failed jail update, which is marked as will-not-fix by the dev team is evidence that plugins via jails is far from ideal.

I never said jails are bad. They've been core in FreeBSD for many years, they work very well, and they are largely the inspiration for LXC/Docker. What I said was it seems FreeNAS will pick a new path for plugins going forward, and I still believe that's true. Nonetheless, we are off topic from this thread's purpose which was for me to diagnose a failure on my system. Thanks for the help.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What I said was it seems FreeNAS will pick a new path for plugins going forward
They have but it's not been implemented yet. It should be coming in the 11.1 update in the fall.

MediaManRIT

Dabbler
I can add a "me too" to this thread. I just did the update, and my one and only jail has the same error. I too first tried setting the IP manually with ifconfig, and failed with the same error. VERY annoying that while jails aren't yet gone, the bug was closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.