Update 11.3 to TrueNAS 12-U1, Jails - long file operations break

lexxai

Dabbler
Update was ok in general.
FreeNAS use lagg, VLANs, Jails over VLAN, VM over VLAN.
On Jails: NextCloud, MailServer (Dovecot,. Postfix, RoundCube)
After update to TrueNAS jail version OS leaved on 11.X version.
Detected problem:
  • user can't sent email with attachments: session closed
  • user can't store to IMAP folder sent emails : connection closed
  • NextCloud client can't sync files: process stop at 112K.
  • WebMail RoundCube server can't save attachments.
MTU unchanged, 1500 by default.
Jail have checked DHCP, VNET, BFD, allow_raw_sockets, vnet_default_interface - vnet:bridge2200
System inerface bridge2200 have member VLAN2200 interface.

After return to previous boot snapshot with FreeNAS 11.3, all now work perfectly.

How detect problem ?
On TrueNAS 12 better, want to back to 12 but after resolve troubles:)

Attachments

• fnas-01.PNG
    fnas-01.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 155
Youll likely want to roll your jails up to current to troubleshoot further. 12.2-RELEASE is the latest and greatest. So like always do a manual recursive snapshot of your iocage dataset before you start fooling.. A config backup wont hurt either.. Then do something along the lines of these from the host CLI:

iocage list

Take note of all jails and their names and status. If jails are running stop them, if jails are anything other than 12.2-RELEASE update them, etc..

Stop the first jail you want to update, then fetch the 12.2 release and apply it to your stopped jail..
iocage stop JAILNAME iocage fetch 12.2-RELEASE iocage upgrade JAILNAME -r 12.2-RELEASE

Along the way it will ask a few questions and such, keep the terminal open and check on it here and there as it takes a minute or 20 to do.

Then once its complete you can then start the jail.
iocage start JAILNAME

Then repeat for each jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
With all that running in jails I would make darn sure to check that everything you are running is supported on 12.2-RELEASE before I went and upgraded and jails. There seems to be a lot of changes between FreeBSD 11 and 12 and plenty of ports have been removed from 11 as a result.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Youll likely want to roll your jails up to current to troubleshoot further. 12.2-RELEASE is the latest and greatest. So like always do a manual recursive snapshot of your iocage dataset before you start fooling.. A config backup wont hurt either.. Then do something along the lines of these from the host CLI:

iocage list

Take note of all jails and their names and status. If jails are running stop them, if jails are anything other than 12.2-RELEASE update them, etc..

Stop the first jail you want to update, then fetch the 12.2 release and apply it to your stopped jail..
iocage stop JAILNAME iocage fetch 12.2-RELEASE iocage upgrade JAILNAME -r 12.2-RELEASE

Along the way it will ask a few questions and such, keep the terminal open and check on it here and there as it takes a minute or 20 to do.

Then once its complete you can then start the jail.
iocage start JAILNAME

Then repeat for each jail.
Things aren't working right now due to the changes going on at FreeBSD moving to github. It's likely going to be a few days before they get sorted out and jail upgrades are not going to work until things are sorted.

lexxai

Dabbler
For now not problem of apps inside jail in general, but you correct about check.
Problem was like when use wrong MTU and connection was lost on big files. It when I early to use tunnel for IPv6 was with same problems.
Can 'old 11.X' OS inside jail so bad cooperate with parent higher 12.X os on network level.
But can be situation that need 11.X inside jail for compatibility with apps.

Things aren't working right now due to the changes going on at FreeBSD moving to github. It's likely going to be a few days before they get sorted out and jail upgrades are not going to work until things are sorted.
You told me that yesterday, I forgot to add that. Thanks for the heads up

For now not problem of apps inside jail in general, but you correct about check.
Problem was like when use wrong MTU and connection was lost on big files. It when I early to use tunnel for IPv6 was with same problems.
Can 'old 11.X' OS inside jail so bad cooperate with parent higher 12.X os on network level.
But can be situation that need 11.X inside jail for compatibility with apps.
Youll never be able to update those jails or any software that reside in them, in which case im not sure you see benefit from running 12+. As I said yesterday and it applies again, I wont stand for a mismatch like this on my system, but your standards might be lower.
With all that running in jails I would make darn sure to check that everything you are running is supported on 12.2-RELEASE before I went and upgraded and jails. There seems to be a lot of changes between FreeBSD 11 and 12 and plenty of ports have been removed from 11 as a result.
@Jailer is quite right, with the software load, you might have to stay on 11.3. I wouldnt know

Last edited:

lexxai

Dabbler
im not sure you see benefit from running 12+.
I have a new second external ZFS 10Tb for offline backup, and I want to try use ZFS encryption - yes work on script mounting with key.
It my answer why I try start to use TrurNAS-core. For now I format classically ext disk with geli. And will continiue to use 11.3 FreeNAS and jail 11.4.