Tried TrueNAS 12 and rolled back to 11.3

alexr

Explorer
I've been trying [unsuccessfully] to get dotnet working in a jail and there was a possibly relevant VM change in May that got picked up by TN 12, so I figured I'd try upgrading.

TL;DR: I rolled back to 11.3 for several reasons and that change didn't fix dotnet.

iX-built dual socket Xeon Gold, 24 cores, 192GB. The upgrade went smoothly. I started up my one bhyve VM (Ubuntu 20.04 to use dotnet and VS Code) fine. Then I proceeded to start up my ten jails one at a time. The first few were fine, but then they started to take progressively longer to start up, taking up to 10m each. Obvious CPU hogs were SNMP and MySQL in librenms, but there were plenty of idle cores left.

About 5m after getting it all started, I got a notification that my IMAP and SMTP servers had stopped responding again. The logs had lots of messages from dovecot about how locks were taking 100s, etc.

Eventually the web UI stopped responding and "sudo reboot" hung, so I had to pull the power and revert to 11.3.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Obvious CPU hogs were SNMP
This is a problem for many of us... if you can live without SNMP, disable the service and the server will run well.

alexr

Explorer
This is a problem for many of us... if you can live without SNMP, disable the service and the server will run well.
How can a single runaway process that isn’t spawning lots of threads seize up an entire machine? I was running htop and the machine and a load of 3.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
How can a single runaway process that isn’t spawning lots of threads seize up an entire machine? I was running htop and the machine and a load of 3.
It seems that it blocks the middleware from doing its work, so things like jails and VMs continue to run with little impact even though the GUI and some other system features are blocked.

alexr

Explorer
It seems that it blocks the middleware from doing its work, so things like jails and VMs continue to run with little impact even though the GUI and some other system features are blocked.
I'm not seeing how middleware locking up would slow other processes badly enough to stall things in a jail or seize up a reboot.

sretalla