Unscheduled System Reboot - Power?

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

So, Im not very far into my TrueNAS journey, but recently reprovisioned some old kit to run a small TrueNAS server at home. Nothing fancy at all, just all home grade kit as it is only really going to run a Plex server for now. I built everything up and bar a TRIM issue with the SSD boot pool, all has been fine. Id set this all up in my dining room while I tested it and got things set up and has no issues. However, 2 days ago, I moved the server to the upstairs room that Id like it to live in. Since then though, Ive noticed 2 unscheduled reboots.

First thing this morning when I went in the room the server was moved to and I saw that it was powered off. Did the usual like checking power cables, switches etc and all looked tight. Powered it back on again and saw the alert on my TrueNAS dashboard. Ive just noticed again though that its powered off. Fired it up again and same thing, so now 2 alerts about unscheduled reboots.

Im going to move the server to another location to see if the same problems occur to help rule out the power socket itself. I'll also try new power lead too if needs be. However, my question is, is there anyway to interrogate the logs to look for any signs as to why this might be happening? Maybe too high temps and power surges etc? Not too sure what gets recorded, but if anyone could point me in the right direction to check I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
You can look at the logs to see if CPU / system temps appear too high until the point before the reboot. However if its truly power-related, it should all appear normal up until the moment of the reboot.

You can also open an SSH session, and look at /var/log/messages, or create a debug file and inspect the logs there as well. See if any other scary warnings are appearing anywhere in the logs.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Please can you advise how I do this?

In the UI you can look at the "Reporting" tab and scroll down to CPU temperatures. If you create a debug file, you can view some of the text files inside it with any standard text-viewer to see if there's any suspect messages. You can make the debug in System -> Advanced -> Save Debug.

If you rule out power-issues, you can also ssh into the box, and keep a "tail -f /var/log/messages" running to see if any errors / warnings start appearing before it reboots.

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Not sure my reporting is working correctly. I can go to the Reporting tab and CPU appears as a default. I can see graph axis for things like temps, system load and usage, but no information in there. However, on the Dashboard tab, CPU is there and shows temps for the 4 threads I have and those temps do change every few seconds. Monitoring looks to be working, just not showing in the reporting tab correctly.

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Just to update - the power issues seemingly werent just related to the TrueNAS server. We started having some home wide electrical problems which Im pretty sure attributed to the random shut downs. One electrician visit later who seems to have found the cause, the problem has been isolated and now just testing making sure there are no more electrical trips throughout the house.