Uninterruptible Power Supply Suggestion? Something that just WORKS?

MalVeauX

Contributor
Hi all,

Any nearly bullet proof suggestions for a UPS?

My FreeNAS (11.3-U4.1) server consumes 51 watts idle. Around 70 watts when doing significant work for my typical stuff.

I'm looking to throw a UPS into the mix. I'd love to find one that just "works" out of the box and not have to do any work arounds. I would think UPS would be a normal thing for server operating systems like this. I don't need a big one with long uptime. Literally just something to survive black/brown out that would cycle the power. Anything longer than a few seconds, I would just leave it shut down anyways. Not looking for 10+ minute operating time. I'd be fine with surviving black/brown out (less than a second, avoiding power cycling) and then if it persisted, just shut down after 2~3 minutes safely.

Would love to hear some user experience on specific models.

Thanks!

Very best,

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You should have good luck using any UPS supported by the NUT usbhid-ups driver. Most of these should just work out of the box.

I use an APC Back-UPS NS1080G, which works perfectly with the usbhid-ups driver. I also configure the USB port as auto, so I don't have to worry about the port changing labels between boots.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @MalVeauX,

I too am relying on APC... Mine is BackUPS RS 1500. It is working fine with NUT. FreeNAS is handling its own UPS while pfSense is handling the one protecting my ESXi server. Both are using NUT for that.

The link that @Samuel Tai referred you to is the key. The important criterion for FreeNAS is that the UPS is Network UPS Tools (NUT) compatible. I'm not sure how up to date the list is, but any successor to the models in the table should be okay. Maybe your purchase should be conditional on this point.

blanchet

Guru
I have Eaton Ellipse ECO 1200 USB. It is managed by the usbhid-ups driver.
You plug the USB cable into the FreeNAS server, you enable the UPS service in the webUI, that's all.
If the power is cut, your server shuts down safely.

MalVeauX

Contributor
Thanks all, very helpful! I don't mind some configuring to get something to work, but these UPS's change models and get updated all the time and so information can be outdated and things stop having the same compatibility, etc.

Very best,