APC Shutdown via network

Status
Not open for further replies.

RChadwick

Dabbler
Basically, I want to configure FreeNAS to shut down when the UPS loses power, through the network (No USB or serial). More specifically, I'd like to properly configure shutdown with a computer that has dual power supplies, and 2 UPS's. After looking around, it looks like I might have problems just getting anything to work. Has anyone had any success with anything like this? Would an older version of FreeNAS do this? Something else?

Thanks!

paleoN

Wizard
Would an older version of FreeNAS do this?
You will have better luck with a newer version.

Basically, I want to configure FreeNAS to shut down when the UPS loses power, through the network (No USB or serial). More specifically, I'd like to properly configure shutdown with a computer that has dual power supplies, and 2 UPS's.
If you are looking for useful advice it might be helpful to post the actual UPS, the actual machines involved and actually what's connected where. Whether it's possible to achieve completely through the GUI depends on the specifics.

RChadwick

Dabbler
I have 2 APC Smart-UPS 3000's, rack mount, each with an APC9617 network management card, and a Supermicro-based Xeon computer with 12 drives, 2 CPU's, and 16GB RAM. Currently, FreeNAS is installed on a USB drive.

paleoN

Wizard
I have 2 APC Smart-UPS 3000's, rack mount, each with an APC9617 network management card, and a Supermicro-based Xeon computer with 12 drives, 2 CPU's, and 16GB RAM.
So, it's only FreeNAS. I read, "configure shutdown with a computer that has dual power supplies" to mean a separate computer.

Currently, FreeNAS only works with through the GUI with a single UPS. You can configure one of the APC's via the GUI, but the second will need to be manually hacked in. Relevant nut Big Servers example. Unless, you wanted to try and add multi-UPS support.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi RChadwick,

I have an APC-2200 with a management card. Here's how I setup the UPS service:

For the "driver" I used: "Various ups 3 (various) SNMP - RFC 1628 (snmp-ups)"

For port I put in the management card IP address.

I have these in the "Auxiliary parameters" box:

mibs=apcc
community=public

I put the UPS user & pass in the "Monitor User" & "Monitor Password" fields.

"Remote Monitor" is ticked.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.