Understanding release cycle and plugin updates

Ellimist

Dabbler
Hi Folks,

I only just moved to 11.2 and I'm liking the new interface however I misread the February update and thought some plugins would be available that aren't.

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/february-plugin-updates-and-new-plugins-for-testing/

I wanted to use the new unfi controller plugin so I don't have to build from scratch all the time. I'm happy to test the plugin but I was wondering if you can update from the test version to the release version of the plugins with the new iocage jails once its release and how that occurs.

I'm also happy to deploy and test the sickchill plugin as well as I assume it works mostly like the old sickrage one in the previous version of freenas.

If someone could explain how this works and what the development times are like it would be much appreciated.

D

dlavigne

We update the plugins ~ every 2-3 weeks as new FreeBSD packages become available, to address security vulnerabilities and newer versions.

We're also gearing up for 11.3 which will add multiple indexes to plugins, allowing users to install "official" plugins (for which we provide updates), community contributed plugins (which the plugin author or the community provides updates), or company created plugins (such as Asigra).

Ellimist

Dabbler
Sorry I might have misunderstood the answer.

Do you mean that if I keep running the updates even if I start with the testing version now I will end up on the release version of the plugin?

Cheers,

D

dlavigne

If the person (or the community) updates the plugin, yes. Most of the current call for testing plugins will remain in the community index.